Update on newbie doing Drive belt progress, need further help please

Are you referring to the larger pulley to the front of the engine? If so, it is the air conditioning compressor which free wheels unless the A/C is switched on. All the other wheels should be spinning freely.
John :)

hi
yes to the right of the crankshaft pulley, there should be small pulley in between but it's not there, apparently some have them some don't. thank you I did not know but it makes sense it only comes on with air con, I ddint relaise it was the air con.
my air con does not work it hasn't since I have had it in 3 years. the button lights up but it doesn't go ice cold just blows cool air not air con cold air.
I will post a video later tonight of prying the crank uoley forward see if it moves.
I'm hoping the tensioner pulley wil be here tomorrow then I can try it again and hope all is worknig proper. I should be all sorted with this soon hopefull.y I will keep you posted. thank you

Sponsored Links
That’s the aircon compressor. It’ll only spin when you put the aircon on. Does the noise change when the aircon is on?
hi
yes to the right of the crankshaft pulley, there should be small pulley in between but it's not there, apparently some have them some don't. thank you I did not know but it makes sense it only comes on with air con, I ddint relaise it was the air con.
my air con does not work it hasn't since I have had it in 3 years. the button lights up but it doesn't go ice cold just blows cool air not air con cold air.
I will post a video later tonight of prying the crank uoley forward see if it moves.
I'm hoping the tensioner pulley wil be here tomorrow then I can try it again and hope all is worknig proper. I should be all sorted with this soon hopefull.y I will keep you posted. thank you

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...rther-help-please.543397/page-5#ixzz6KSFolI7N

Just for info....
If the air conditioning system has lost its refrigerant gas (quite likely) then the compressor won't switch on - it will continue to free wheel.
Something to sort later if you want!

Another wee bit of air-con info:
Even if it's lost its gas and won't work, the switch will often light up when you switch it on.
That doesn't mean the air-con is working, it only means the bulb in the switch is working.

Sponsored Links
I’ve had a couple of air con compressors that have made a terrible racket. Luckily on both occasions they were driven by a separate belt and the owners weren’t bothered about them so I just removed the belts. Might be worth trying a long stick on the compressor to see if that’s making the noise.

Just for info....
If the air conditioning system has lost its refrigerant gas (quite likely) then the compressor won't switch on - it will continue to free wheel.
thank you, I tried getting the air con re gassed but the garage said it wasn't charging and there was a problem somehwere, I think that was at halfords.
the air con pulley does not spin by hand when I spin it

Even if it's lost its gas and won't work, the switch will often light up when you switch it on.
That doesn't mean the air-con is working, it only means the bulb in the switch is working.

hi, good tip
thank you

I’ve had a couple of air con compressors that have made a terrible racket. Luckily on both occasions they were driven by a separate belt and the owners weren’t bothered about them so I just removed the belts. Might be worth trying a long stick on the compressor to see if that’s making the noise.

I hope the tensioner pulley will be here tomorrow and tht will be the end of it all and I can drive it again. I need to make sure the noise stops, that the belt does not slip off the crank pulley and that the groove isn't a problem on the belt. thank you

here is a video earleir, it was the only thing I could think of to check if the crank pulley was bad or not, I used the bar from the jack but the crank seemed ok I think ?
i will update tomorrow ( well later today now ) it 1 50 am

Last edited:
Seems fine to me.

Hey
Yes there does not seem to be any movement on it, I didn't use excess force on the bar but I did pry forward enough with it that it if the crank pulley was loose it should have moved when I tried it with the bar.

I assume the crankshaft pulley can be ruled out as not being at fault then ?

Every other pulley I have looked at and spun all seem fine thoguh I will try the same method with the bar and try the air con pulley for play as well.
Other than that I now assume the culprit as being the drive belt tensioner. It should be here today hopefully as I ordered it on Wednesday and is being delivered from not too far away, 80 miles.

I will try the alternator as well and see if it does as it should according tto the YouTube video by putting a screwdriver through the fins and rotating it.

I will update later, thanks

Seems fine to me.

hi
I am still waiting on the tensioner pulley t oarrive, it's been a week now and still not here and it's just ridiculous, it was only coming from 60 miles away as well. I have had a lot if issues in recent months with royal mail with parcels disappearing they cannot be trusted.
I migt order from euro car parts tomorrow.

Anyway I put old tensioner back on the car but when trying to put the belt back on it seems wayyyyyy to big its not going tight. These tensioners are self adjusting apparently , I do not understand why the belt is way too big to go on now how do I get the tensioner to tighten up so as I can fit the belt ?
The tensioner is not locked in
thank you

sorry for not being able to post this as one but multiquote not working

hi
I am still waiting on the tensioner pulley t oarrive, it's been a week now and still not here and it's just ridiculous, it was only coming from 60 miles away as well. I have had a lot if issues in recent months with royal mail with parcels disappearing they cannot be trusted.

Anyway I put old tensioner back on the car but when trying to put the belt back on it seems wayyyyyy to big its not going tight. These tensioners are self adjusting apparently , I do not understand why the belt is way too big to go on now how do I get the tensioner to tighten up so as I can fit the belt ?
thank you

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...rther-help-please.543397/page-6#ixzz6KvEBN8Zg

Just for info....
sorry for not being able to post this as one but multiquote not working

hi

thank you

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...rther-help-please.543397/page-6#ixzz6KvEUnyrB

Sponsored Links
Back