Update on newbie doing Drive belt progress, need further help please

Definitely seems to have play in the tensioner pulley with that 'clacking' noise it’s making so I’d change that. Re the alternator - can you feel the whole innards turning when turning it clockwise but just the pulley turns when you turn it anti-clockwise? Did you try moving the crank pulley with a bar like somebody else suggested?
hi
the tensioner pulley does seem to have a little play on it , it seems louder on the video though than in person.
can the tensioner pulley cause this noise ?

Sorry but I didn't quite understand what you mean by can I feel the whole inwards on the pulley turning ? I span it and the roller spins but I don't actually feel the inwards of it turning. can the pulley on alternator be changed separate or does it have to be as a whole unit ie the entire alternator.
I was going to try that suggestion with pry bar on crank pulley but not got a pry bar, what else can I use ?
The Alternator pulley spins freely clockwise but does not spin as much anti clockwise. It was replaced by a mechanic 18 months or so ago.
the rattling noise does not seem to be coming from the alternator though but right down near bottom of drive belt area.

Sponsored Links
Sorry but I didn't quite understand what you mean by can I feel the whole inwards on the pulley turning ?
Have you tested the alternator clutch like the video shows in post #8? You don’t need to remove it to test it.

Have you tested the alternator clutch like the video shows in post #8? You don’t need to remove it to test it.

hi, is the alternator clutch the same as the silver pulley on the alternator as shown in the video ? When I removed the old belt there was what looked like a bit of string jammed in the pulley on the alternator so I pulled it all out, It looks like it might have been off the old shredded belt. there isn't any rubbery looking string in the alternator behind it's pulley is there ? I pulled it out as it looked like shredded belt.
I don't see where post 8 is ? Sorry If I am overlooking it.

thank you so much as always, you are great and I appreciate you

Sponsored Links
It’s the 8th post in this thread! They are all numbered just to the left of ‘+multiquote' at ggg bottom right of each post.
thanks I will go have a look, I'm new here.
do you think the alternator looks okay, normal ?
even if it has a litte play fit the belt and find out wat is scoring it ( that groove was a score I checked earlier) find out why the belt is slipping off the crankshat a little bit and also eliminate the awful grating noise. do you think that grating in the last video could be becuae of tensioner ? thnaks

Yes, it could be as it was noisy and had movement in it. New ones don’t.
thanks
you and the other guy's are great nad I appreciete you helping me. I think I am almost there now, I figured out how to fit the belt and just a few more little things I need help with along the way. I would appreciete so much you guy's to continue supporting me until it is sorted which should be very soon, I hope I'm not bugging you guy's. thnak you as always !

You'd be wise to invest in a pair of these for pinpointing the noise, I use them frequently at work.

Have you checked the alignment of all the pulleys with the ruler yet?.

A failing crank damper pulley could very well distort and run out of alignment when under accessory load.

Screenshot_20200423-074231_Samsung Internet.jpg

One more thing, just be very mindful of safety while working around a running engine, snag a piece of clothing in and it's game over for your hand or worse.

It rotates in the opposite direction to the OP's one though so the opposite applies when testing it.

hi
the alternator part issilent with the engine running around the alternator pulley area, the loud grating noise is coming from the bottom of the engine more toward tensioner/crank pulley side. I will still try this test on the alternator later on today although it was only replaced 18 months ago.
I am going to go out with a stick of wood and try levering against the crankshaft pulley in a bit, I'll post video tonight.
I just noticed something while watching this video, not sure if this is right or not, the pulley to the right of the cranksahft does not seem to be spinning, is it supposed to ?

thanks

Last edited:
@ Rightboy91

This video may interest you.
hi
the alternator part is silent with the engine running around the alternator pulley area, the loud grating noise is coming from the bottom of the engine more toward tensioner/crank pulley side. I will still try this test on the alternator later on today although it was only replaced 18 months ago.
I am going to go out with a stick of wood and try levering against the crankshaft pulley in a bit, I'll post video tonight.

I just noticed something while watching this video, not sure if this is right or not, the pulley to the right of the cranksahft does not seem to be spinning, is it supposed to ? if it isn't meant to spin how does it drive the pulley which it is on ?

thanks

Are you referring to the larger pulley to the front of the engine? If so, it is the air conditioning compressor which free wheels unless the A/C is switched on. All the other wheels should be spinning freely.
John :)

That’s the aircon compressor. It’ll only spin when you put the aircon on. Does the noise change when the aircon is on?

Sponsored Links
Back