Uplight Shelving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a nice brick wall and we wanted to have a lighting effect like in the attached.

The easiest option for lighting is LED strips but the effect will be different to the attached.

Does anyone have a recommendation of how we create the same effect as in the attached and know what lights to use? Maybe normal spot lights but these take up a lot of room right?

Any advice would've gratefully received.

Attachments

• F86D58F2-6ED7-4C6D-AF2C-4D8D32FD9609-701-000000CBA380BCE5_tmp.jpg
    F86D58F2-6ED7-4C6D-AF2C-4D8D32FD9609-701-000000CBA380BCE5_tmp.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 167
  • DA655487-34E0-4818-88FE-1582B791401E-701-000000CACF8DF3F4_tmp.jpg
    DA655487-34E0-4818-88FE-1582B791401E-701-000000CACF8DF3F4_tmp.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 175
Sponsored Links
You could try going in there when they are not busy, and ask one of the bar staff if they could move a couple of bottles aside so you can see how their lighting is done.

My guess is LED strips. Why do you think the effect would be different?

You could try going in there when they are not busy, and ask one of the bar staff if they could move a couple of bottles aside so you can see how their lighting is done.

My guess is LED strips. Why do you think the effect would be different?

Will pop in tomorrow and see what lights they are using, I just though that perhaps that lights LED wouldn't give the spot effect like in the photos as maybe not powerful enough. I didn't want the whole shelf lit up so didn't think LED strips would give the desired effect. That said def worth buying one of the below to see what effect it gives and if powerful enough.

Something like these, fixed to the back of each shelf with the light going upwards.
Normally used for kitchens under the wall units to illuminate the worktop below.

Thanks Flameport, will def buy one of these to try out as I have a tool station doen the road from me.

Sponsored Links
Something like these, fixed to the back of each shelf with the light going upwards.
Normally used for kitchens under the wall units to illuminate the worktop below.

View attachment 120778

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p22705
Second thoughts do you think this light will be powerful enough to give the same effect in the photo's as its only 1.5w?

Will pop in tomorrow and see what lights they are using, I just though that perhaps that lights LED wouldn't give the spot effect like in the photos as maybe not powerful enough. I didn't want the whole shelf lit up so didn't think LED strips would give the desired effect. That said def worth buying one of the below to see what effect it gives and if powerful enough.

Thanks Flameport, will def buy one of these to try out as I have a tool station doen the road from me.

do you think this light will be powerful enough to give the same effect

If I was you, before forking out on some expensive LED lamps, I've have a play around with some cheap 12v car LED lamps like these...

ecbf055f-2d9d-495f-b9ae-ef16e0b0e647.JPG

Connected to a mini 12v battery. (get a battery holder too to make the wiring easier). That way you can have a play around with different car LEDs and get a feel for how bright 150 lumens actually is. And also there are different colour temperatures to test, to see what works best for your application and figure out how many you'll want, etc, etc before buying or installing anything permanent.

Gaz :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Is that the baddow barn,
lots of pubs are using retro style led lamps with tinted glass nowadays in the wall lights, the colour of the back bar lights look similar to the wall lights so may be slimline skeleton fittings with either retro 284mm led or retro candle lamps.

When you return check out the lamp in the picture light.

The colour to me, dont seem to be warm white and definitely not cool white so i am not sure you will like them normal led lights

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back