Using an angle grinder safe

I would remove the bracket from the wood and clamp it to cut it - I don't think an angle grinder and any kind of wood is a safe combination myself.

Not sure what you mean? Assuming the wood isn't being reused, I don't see a problem? You will set fire to your clothes long before the wood catches.

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you mean? Assuming the wood isn't being reused, I don't see a problem? You will set fire to your clothes long before the wood catches.
I'd generally be concerned about the blade snagging in the wood, not about it catching fire.

Looks a nice path :cool:

If you have much stone cutting to do a cut off saw with water is a good investment
thanks for the kind comment - it's the path to no where, the wife decided she did't want the garden gate there so path building was suspended - may be I will build a spooky shed with a wood burner and drink my home brew in it ?

I manage fine with the angle grinders but out of curiosity what type of saw are you talking about?

gardepath_4386diy.JPG

Sponsored Links
thanks for the kind comment - it's the path to no where, the wife decided she did't want the garden gate there so path building was suspended - may be I will build a spooky shed with a wood burner and drink my home brew in it ?

I manage fine with the angle grinders but out of curiosity what type of saw are you talking about?

View attachment 166164

For added spookiness how about a living willow archway/tunnel over the dead end path :evil:

Petrol cut off saw aka "stihl saw"
The water feed cuts down on most of the dust, and with a 12" blade you can cut deeper aswell

Indeed, a dangerous but very useful machine.
You have the work well secured which is essential and on those pieces cut from top to bottom. You need to avoid the blade digging into the work but in this situation it's unlikely.
Always use two hands and keep the guard on.
John :)
When u say from top to bottom I guess you mean bring the saw towards you?

Yes, that's correct....it means that the cutting wheel cant dig in and accelerate across the material to be cut.
For what its worth I think you have created a good, safe working environment there, particularly in the absence of a vice - and if the wheel cuts into the timber it won't do any harm at all.
I don't know if you have discovered the thin (1mm) slitting discs that are available - an absolute godsend for cutting. I've used over 50 this year so far (y)
John :)

As everyone says, safety goggles, correct disk for the job and a good grip on the angle grinder at all times.

I've been working on some 10mm steel recently and and the 1mm cutting discs go through it like a knife through butter!. (Bosch disks from Screwfix).

For those brackets personally I'd use a fine tooth hacksaw and finish with a file rather than dragging the grinder out.

Found some flexible flap sanding disks the other day, gave a great finish and easy to round of curves.

20190606_211720.jpg

20190604_135509.jpg

Watch out for windows the sparks will stick and melt glass very easily !! Have ruined my patio doors
indeed - I made a mess of the passenger window in my last van doing this.

Best not cutting steel with shorts on too, those sparks aren't good on the nuts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back