Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There seem to be loads of similar posts like

'I've taken a light down without marking the cables'
'1 light switch with 2 lights'
'do building control require notification when changing my light'

You get the point, could we not just add two more sticky's,

1 could be titled How to replace a light fitting - enclosed a few simple wiring diagrams. (I know these are already on the site but people dont seem to find them.)

Another could be titled Is this notifiable - enclosed a list of examples which is / isn't notifiable.

Just a thought

Sponsored Links
Its all listed in the wiki, but people don't seem to bother looking there.

I guess it takes less effort to re-ask the question, rather than actually looking for the information :confused:

I think however much info is posted some people will always prefer to ask than read. We never get to "meet" all those who visit the site and sort out their problem by reading the posts or from the sticky and wiki.

I've learnt loads from the other sections just by reading. I do ask now & then if I'm not sure but generally I can find what I'm looking for

Sponsored Links
Joking aside, you guys have done a top job in the Wiki section. I hope the site owner appreciates it and sends you all a Christmas card from his villa in Spain.

Spark123 said:
A link to the electrics wiki as a sticky would be nice lol!!

diy6.gif

I guess it could be improved if the tab read "DIY facts and advice - look here first"?

have what you like posted where you like, people will still ignore it.

look at the times i myself for one have said see sticky for refence, then the op says what / where is that?

wvwn mysignature suggests a search, but do they?

typical example here goes to show people do not read

ban-all-sheds said:
diy6.gif

I guess it could be improved if the tab read "DIY facts and advice - look here first"?

It won't fit.......

breezer said:
Gone now - what on earth did it say that was OK at the time but is now so contentious that it had to be removed???

ban-all-sheds said:
breezer said:
Gone now - what on earth did it say that was OK at the time but is now so contentious that it had to be removed???
i think it was this one. But it had been posted in electrics outside of UK. boo hoo. :rolleyes:

crafty1289 is almost right. It was first posted in electrics outside the UK, Breezer advised re posting in electrics UK, (before us mods saw it) which the poster did, I then removed the first post that Breezer had linked to

lynda said:
crafty1289 is almost right. It was first posted in electrics outside the UK, Breezer advised re posting in electrics UK, (before us mods saw it) which the poster did, I then removed the first post that Breezer had linked to
Yes, but you deleted the entire topic, including the post (with technical content) that I'd added!

What you say is true, but being a long time poster you should know not to reply to posts in wrong forums etc unless it is to point out the op error. You can also post the info on the new post the op made

lynda said:
What you say is true, but being a long time poster you should know not to reply to posts in wrong forums etc unless it is to point out the op error. You can also post the info on the new post the op made
Frankly, that's a ridiculous comment, and as such is out of character for you.

What I do know is that most topics that are created on the wrong forum are either moved or locked, NOT deleted.

If the reason that you deleted the one in question is that is was partially duplicated, then it would have been infinitely better to lock the topic, leaving the technical content in place, and post a link to the new/other topic. As it was, the topic just vaporised a couple minutes after I'd posted, leaving nothing but a dark cloud of mystery.

anyone noticed how if a mod adds a comment to your post, you can edit it? :cool: :cool: :cool: oh the possibilities. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

not if i do this you can't :LOL:

I will unlock it in about 5 mins

Softus said:
lynda said:
Frankly, that's a ridiculous comment, and as such is out of character for you.

What I do know is that most topics that are created on the wrong forum are either moved or locked, NOT deleted.

If the reason that you deleted the one in question is that is was partially duplicated, then it would have been infinitely better to lock the topic, leaving the technical content in place, and post a link to the new/other topic. As it was, the topic just vaporised a couple minutes after I'd posted, leaving nothing but a dark cloud of mystery.

What you say is true, but if you had of not posted to a reply in the wrong forum everyone would be happy.

I would have moved it but the op posted again in the correct forum as was suggested, so to have 2 posts asking the same in two forums is not good one had to go.

I also removed your other post and pasted your comments in your post above (Which is what I have quoted), as we as mods can not merge posts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back