VW Polo 1.2 06 Reg - Is it time to get rid?

I have run 3, 406 estates, the first did 246k until it got wet and wrecked the electronics, never went wrong until then. The second which we have now I bought for £400 with 11 months MOT we have had it just over 2 years and covered 20k+ and its never broken down, I have another one which we don't use so much, that's done about 150k and likewise has been utterly reliable.

These have all had the 2.0. 8 valve diesel which is virtually bombproof, relatively simple for a modern diesel, no DPF and 50-60 mpg and examples with 300,000+ miles are not all that rare. They are certainly the most reliable cars I have run in my 60 years of motoring.

The cars themselves are very well built by modern standards and even the little wheel under the dashboard that raises and lowers the headlights still works on all three cars.

If you want a smaller car the 206 is also available with this engine until 2009 I believe although late ones are few and far between. Certain Citroens also use the same engine although in my experience they are not as reliable as the Peugeots.

Peter

Sponsored Links
The reason I ask is that my daughter had a 2001 106 Diesel and my son had a 2003 206 1.4 petrol. Both were always going wrong and I had meticulously maintained them. I’m in the trade, can get a lot of stuff for virtually nothing and my time cost nothing too. When I first bought them I went right through them - full service, cam belt, brakes, tyres and battery. They were first cars for them so they only kept them a year or so until they were experienced and could look after something decent (as predicted, both ended up having minor shunts/parking scrapes). From memory, the 106 had a head gasket, clutch, water pump, heater matrix, rear wheel bearing. The 206 also had head gasket, clutch, gear linkage, speedo drive and a front spring. Cost me virtually nothing but for an owner that would need to pay a garage to fix them it would have been an expensive first years motoring!

I used to run hydropnumatic Citroens starting with the CX, BX XM and finally C5 and they were beautiful cars to ride in but were complicated for their age and did give problems, although the XM's which I ran for 15 years or so were very reliable once I got to know them, I had a couple with around 300k on them. The last one, the C5 had the same running gear as the 406 but was far from reliable which was why I switched to the 406.

The ride is not as good as the hydraulically suspended cars but the handling is much better. As I said, I have had three and have also got at least two for other people going back a few years now, and they are all still going, except my first one, they just don't seem to go wrong. I think the 406 was probably an exceptionally good car but I don't know about the smaller ones, not had any experience with them. The XUD engine was good for about 150k and then the head gaskets seemed to fail, I have never had one fail on a 406 Hdi, or a clutch/DMF - yet.

The last petrol car I ran had a carburetor and distributor so don't know much about those.

Peter

406 Hdi's were the favourite for minicab drivers as the engines would do vast mileages. I have fond memories of mine except my local main dealer couldn't fix the heater fan when it failed.

Sponsored Links
I have a complete spare parts dept for mine, the silver one at the top of the field.

There is an Executive estate, leather, heated memory seats and all the gubbins on Ebay for £440

Peter

Last edited:
Get a Peugeot made between 2000-2004 they don't go wrong, especially the diesels.:cool:

Peter
Rofl......Apart from 407sw......heating.perpetual limp mode capers.catalytic convertor issues.various sensors...worst pile of crap i have ever had!!!!

I have bought five of them in total, two for other people and none of them have been what I would call troublesome so I think you must have been unlucky. I have never paid much money for them and once any immediate problems were fixed they have done many thousands of miles and they are one of the simplest modern cars to work on.

Don't reckon a lot to the newer Peugeot's though, I think the 406 was the last good car they made. I bought a C5 with the same running gear and that was a pain.

Peter

Back