Wall paper paste removal before painting - Zinsser Gardz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody!

I’ve just removed peeling lining paper from the walls of my living room and I’m now left with quite a lot of paste residue on the walls. I’ve just about resigned myself to steaming/scraping/sugar soaping the paste off as best as possible but just noticed a product that might save me the bother:

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/z/ZINSSER_GARDZ_CLEAR_INTERIOR_WALL_SEALER/

Can I coat the walls in this and then paint straight over the top with emulsion? I’ve got some cheap white Contract Matt to go on as a first coat (after the Zinsser Gardz) which I was going to water down, before applying the top coats (Valspar Premium Matt).

If I need to prep the walls (filler/sand) do I need to do this before applying the Zinsser Gardz or can the prep be done after? If possible, I’d like to treat the walls with the Zinsser Gardz, put on a mist coat of the white Contract Matt to show up the areas which need filling/sanding/prepping, then once prepped, apply the top coats?

If I do it in this order do I run the risk of possibly sanding off the Zinsser Gardz and exposing the paste residue beneath?

Thanks
walty666

Sponsored Links
Don't see why not but at over 30 quid for 5 litres it aint cheap. If you need to sand back that far then do so then give it another swipe with the zinnser.
Zinnser must be rubbing their hands with glee, everyone seems to see it as the end to all their decorating woes.
Personally I would get the steamer and a wide blade scraper out.

zinsser sell an enzyme based wall paper glue remover

http://www.zinsseruk.com/product/dif-wallpaper-stripper/

I once made the mistake of pouring some into my £150 wallpaper stripper. It gunked it up.

Personally, I would sand the walls to remove any residue but if you don't have a decent sander and dust extractor then carry on as you are.

Hot soapy water works but may damage the carpet.

You could always re-line the walls.

Sponsored Links
seems pointless if you've already got the paper off, get in there with the steamer and a scraper or as others have suggested a wet sponge may do the trick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back