Warm Air v Radiator

S

sturharv

I have a job where the client is deciding whether to go for a warm air system or a standard wet radiator system.

What would you say the pro's and con's for both systems are?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
+ Hot air warms the air in the house really quickly.

+ Radiators have residual heat when the boiler goes off.

+ You get more wall space with hot air vents than with radiators.

- Hot air cools down quickly after the boiler goes off.

- Radiators leak and corrode and leak some more.

That's about it.

I think the biggest factor would be if your client has a warm air already with the ductwork in place. Then a replacement WAU would be a no brainer.

If there is no ducting, fit rads, because retro fitting the duct work in a house is not really a practical proposition.

Warm air, also blows dust around and it can be quite noisey, WAU are also pretty bulky.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the comments.

So I assume that the warm air system isn't being fed from a normal boiler... is this what normally feeds a warm air system. The clients want to build an large extension on the house so if he wanted rads in the extension and warm air in the main house could this be done?

Ive fitted a few of these in commercial properties.
http://www.unicosystem.co.uk/index.htm
Good system but expensive. About 8k for a large domestic install.
Run off a big buffer cylinder. :D
Its an American system . The best option for anyone considering this system is to go and have a look at one in someones property and see how they like it.

and warm air in the main house could this be done?

Not so easily if its a two storey but if its a bungalow then no problem.
The air outlets are what some people don't like jutting out of their ceilings and if the air filters are not maintained then you may get staining or discolouring of the air outlets and possible staining of walls if they are not sited in the correct location. Also the return air grill is quite large and you need somewhere less conspicuous to position this in a domestic property.
Their is a domestic oil boiler manufacturer making a complete system but the name has escaped me at the moment.

I wouldn't go for ducted air if you are asthmatic as more dust is generated.

I wouldn't go for ducted air if you are asthmatic as more dust is generated.

Sorry Mega but thats rubbish

You can buy filters for it that even the most wheezy person would not cough at

You can get fantastic filters but they can only catch the dust which is thrown into the air by the blown air.

Pretty much all air in a property with a WAU will go through the filter during a cycle!

dont get me wrong I hate and loath WA but it is good for asthmatics and those who suffer from pollen allergys

but it is good for asthmatics and those who suffer from pollen allergys
Who on Earth told you guys that?

It certainly wasn't good for me and we had all the filters the salespeople could throw at us.

Ripped it out and fitted rads ... No problem ever since.

MW

but it is good for asthmatics and those who suffer from pollen allergys
Who on Earth told you guys that?

It certainly wasn't good for me and we had all the filters the salespeople could throw at us.

Ripped it out and fitted rads ... No problem ever since.

MW

no one told me I have fitted many a electric filter in many high spec for peeps suffering from the dreaded wheeze

sorted

The J&S Cleanair filter gets out particles as small as tobacco smoke. Like Corgiman we have only had satisfied customers with warm air using this add-on enhancement.

I don't recall asthmatics unable to go shopping. Most large retail outlets are heated/cooled by blown air systems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back