Wetherspoons tea/coffee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The local one was open today and I thought to pop in for a cheap 'bottomless' coffee, but decided not to when I saw their new prices on the menu outside, all up, very substantially. There £1.15 (was it coffee), up to £1.88, similar massive increases in their food too.

Sponsored Links
It's alright, the government will pay for half.

It's as if they knew in advance and put the prices up - we pay the same, businesses get a bung, rich get richer.

The local one was open today and I thought to pop in for a cheap 'bottomless' coffee, but decided not to when I saw their new prices on the menu outside, all up, very substantially. There £1.15 (was it coffee), up to £1.88, similar massive increases in their food too.
Tim's taking advantage of the virus to hike the cost to customers...

He knew his promises of a price cut upon Brexit wasn't going to happen (quite the opposite), so it's simply an attempt to fill his own pockets...

And his mates in government have just handed him a cut in VAT, so no excuses for price rises...

And no-one should ever forget how he treated his staff during this crisis!

Sponsored Links
Just heard, 5% vat for the leisure industry including restaurants who can also register to get a £10 discount for each customer who's bill is above £10.
That was basically how it was quickly explained to me. So, if my 'normal' Chinese buffet costs £16 per head do you think I will get it for £6 a head?

No, I didn't think so either.

And where do you stand if you have paid for a September holiday? You've paid the full price do you think the tour operator is going to give you 15% of the VAT back?
I won't hold my breath.

Now spoonies have put their prices up, they've lost their advantage.

Just heard, 5% vat for the leisure industry including restaurants who can also register to get a £10 discount for each customer who's bill is above £10.
That was basically how it was quickly explained to me. So, if my 'normal' Chinese buffet costs £16 per head do you think I will get it for £6 a head?

I think that explanation is wrong. It's a 50% discount/rebate for meals costing up to £20. So you should pay £8 for your buffet and the restaurant can claim the other £8 from the government. Of course it's more complicated than that, e.g., only valid on Mon to Wed during August and the restaurant has to register beforehand.

A tenner off my bill isn't going to make me want to go eat in Aug...
I think it's disgusting actually. Not out of the woods yet with covid and not only are the gov being total tossers over that, they now want everyone to go and possibly spread it a little bit more, just in case we missed anyone.

£1.88 is a very good price!
Massive increases there still makes it cheaper than most places?

A tenner off my bill isn't going to make me want to go eat in Aug...
I think it's disgusting actually. Not out of the woods yet with covid and not only are the gov being total tossers over that, they now want everyone to go and possibly spread it a little bit more, just in case we missed anyone.
I wont be eating out this year.

Mind you I didn't eat out last year :mrgreen: (apart from holiday)

We are about to enter a sustained period of stagflation*

*That's austerity on steroids btw!

Sponsored Links
Back