What’s everyone doing for a holiday this year ?

We are off camping this year. Kids can make holidays real expensive but found a good campsite with water park on the Atlantic Coast.

Sponsored Links
I think it's known as the 'ten week rule'. People book cruises, put a deposit down and then have to pay in full ten weeks before the cruise. If they don't pay, they release and resell those cabins at a decent discount. Of course, it's a gamble as you still might not get a cabin and then other holidays you have your eye on may have sold out. I know when we did a Caribbean cruise on the Azura back in 2011, my wife and I paid £1900 pp inc flights for an extended balcony cabin. Our friends booked the cabin next door and paid the same. Another couple of our friends tried to book a few weeks later but they were sold out. They tried again later on in the year and got an actual suite with a personal cabin attendant, canape's every night, free dry cleaning and laundry, priority for the on-board specialty restaurants and their own dedicated breakfast restaurant only for those with suites. Their suite was massive with a separate lounge and kitchen. They paid......£1900 pp, the same as us! Oh how they laughed..... Luckily, they were not breakfast people and were in the Gym in the morning or running round the deck so us and the other couple took turns to use their pass for breakfast each morning.

I see what you mean, and I am sure that you are correct.
But there also private individuals who buy a holiday and fir some reason can not go. They are in the can for deposits and stage payments (in that the closer to the holiday the greater the required advance payment. Within , typically , 6 weeks that are liable for the whole cost) and not covered by insurance. So they then sell the booking privately. Sometimes the cruise is otherwise fully booked, and sometimes carry the benefit of early booking discounts and/or on board credit so are a good deal.

Me? Nothing, can't afford it. Actually I may be able to stretch to a break in Norfolk or something.

Going Israel in July with my young Daughter and dring to France in July with the rest of the family

Sponsored Links
Had a great holiday in Israel, fascinating country, will go again

Went back in 2013. Thus time with my 13 year old daughter for a wedding. Not sure how save Jerusalem or Bathlehem will be but she wants to ho to dead sea and the Negev.

We had a whistle stop tour of Jerusalem in 1982 on our way home from South Africa. Our ship got held up in the Red Sea so we missed our port slot in Ashdod, had to go on to Haifa and they then rushed us to Jerusalem and Bethlehem. I remember seeing blown up tanks and trucks on the side of the road. I was a bit naive at the time and we went to see the wailing wall. We thought we heard it as we got near but it turned out to be just two cats yowling as they were squaring up to each other before a scrap. I truly thought it was the wall that wailed! I went up to the wall and it was full of little messages on paper poked into cracks in the wall. That’s about all I can remember about it.

Went back in 2013. Thus time with my 13 year old daughter for a wedding. Not sure how save Jerusalem or Bathlehem will be but she wants to ho to dead sea and the Negev.
Check with the Foreign Office if you're not sure. Seriously. There's all kinds of commemorative events around the 75th anniversary of the Naqba so best to check if you're travelling around this summer. A ceasefire has only just been announced in Gaza but tensions are always fragile.

I'm not too worried. I'll be just as happy chilling at the hotel pool and the beach for the week.

I've been around a fair bit, "most countries" = more than half, many for work, some for interest. I've done cities, history, landscapes, engineering, animals. Skiing, waterskiing, surfing, boating, diving, flying. I'm not a fan of beaches or heat.
That'll do.
A Deep Sea explorer would be interesting, but I don't think those are available.
Can't think of anywhere else. All too much hassle now.

Last edited:
Looking at going to Seville and Crete and of course a few short U.K. breaks with the dawg. No firm dates yet though.
Going to neither now!
Driving to Honfluer, Mont Saint-Michel and Rouen in July for our anniversary and Menorca in September.

In Ibiza right now - it ain’t half ‘ot mum!
Best of luck getting anywhere near the Mont St Michel, Mottie.
John

If not alone, probably a small assemblage I would think.

Toss up between Cuba and Costa Rica at the mo.
Went to CR a few years ago, enjoyed every aspect of the tour apart from the extension at the end on the Pacific coast, not much to do and too hot

Sponsored Links
Back