What am I doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Have you been backing it off to cut the swarf out every turn you put on?

Aye, use some trefolex or similar. Turn the die a full turn forwards then half a turn back, jiggle it, full turn forwards, half a turn back, jiggle it etc

Sponsored Links
What you are doing wrong is messing about with conduit when MrsBAS told you to cut the grass & wash her car! :D :D

Looks like it would do to me. Who is going to see it inside a coupler??

It's called having pride in your work. All too seldom seen these days. "Would do " is not acceptable. The aim should be perfection, or as close to it as you can get.

As others have said it looks like some swarf is clogging the cutting thread on the die.

If you were doing hundreds of these you would probably accept these threads with just a small improvement. If you want 'perfection' you will probably have to run the die off every few turns and clean it (usually just by banging it on the bender :D. Bear in mind that conduit is not made from the best quality steel.

Also bear in mind that the socket to conduit interface needs to provide a good electrical connection that might have to carry fault current - given this 'perfection' might not be the smoothest thread but the one that makes the best contact - note that what you are producing is generally a 'use once' thread.

Don't be tempted to reverse the die as this will make a parallel thread that will not tighten properly.

your die is stuffed.. needs re-sharpening or a damn good cleaning with a wire brush to get the crud out of the threads.

could also be a worn follower allowing the dies to rock from side to side slightly as you screw..

Dave do you actually work for a living or live in an Ivory tower??

Anyone that works for a living bends, cuts and uses an electric threader. You dont walk around inspecting the threads ---- if the coupler or box fits thats all thats required.

What an attitude perfection LOL its only a thread on a bit of conduit.

I personally DO NOT remember the last time I used conduit to carry the earth I always run in a cpc.

Electric threader?? I've never used one to thread conduit yet.
The conduit needs to be earthed - little point in installing metal conduit otherwise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back