What are your thoughts on this please.

As I wrote earlier "we all knew what he meant" but EFLI's tongue-in-cheek response was appropriate in relation to what eric had 'actually written'.

We all know "what was meant" when people talk about transformers, lighting rings, low voltage, plug tops etc. etc. - but that doesn't stop people feeling that they should be 'corrected'.

Kind Regards, John

People can be confused and misled by talk by those who "know what is meant", and therefore the whole idea of that deserves criticism whenever it arises, as it is also seen by people who don't "get it already".

It's unnecessary and not becoming of a profession where accuracy and attention to technical detail are very important.

Sponsored Links
May not even need to be a "load"... if the loop impedance is 10 Ohms (good for a TT system) then a 'dead short' between line & earth would pass a current of 230/10 = 23A. This wouldn't create a bang and wouldn't open a 32A MCB ... it would open a 13A fuse but not for several minutes.
Indeed - and even that is very optimistic. I thing that 50Ω-75Ω is far more usual for a domestic TT rod (that's certainly the case for mine), so we are then talking of less than 5A.

However, in the context of comments that are being discussed, I don't think anyone has said anything about TT - and, in the conext of any TN supply, there is likely to be a significant 'bang'!

Kind Regards, John

People can be confused and misled by talk by those who "know what is meant", and therefore the whole idea of that deserves criticism whenever it arises ...
That is, indeed, the argument ... so why did you 'assume' that you "knew what eric meant" (even though it's not what he wrote), rather than take him to task over what he had actually written?

Sponsored Links
A current passed line to earth (and not to neutral) would, of course, register on a domestic electricity meter. The current coil is in the phase & the potential coil is connected phase to neutral. Pretty much all designs of meter have a hard connection between the Neutral IN & Neutral Out terminals -its only needed as a reference for the potential coil.
That's certainly true of any meter I have seen or heard of at any point in my life (many decades!). Eric seems to have been suggesting that it may have been different in the past, but I very much doubt that.

Kind Regards, John

... which presumably is not really forgivable in relation to "a profession where accuracy and attention to technical detail are very important".

Kind Regards, John
Good job I'm not a sparks then.

Yes an error, meant load line to earth not direct short, ...
Indeed, as I said, I think that all of us (including winston) "knew what you meant".
... I don't think is would cause you go get free electric, but I can see why some one would try it.
Maybe - I suppose that someone who does not know/understand how a kWh meter works might have any number of (mis-)conceptions about what 'tricks' might enable them to 'get free electricity'. Of course, in the days of electromagnetic meters, one probably didn't need more than a decent magnet to achieve that!

Kind Regards, John

You also claim not to be GeorgeCooke or BanAllShells or any of the others, so it becomes hard to believe anything you say anymore.
Nor am I rocket scientist, brain surgeon, or ex Prime Minister. But you don’t have to believe me if you don’t want to.

Of course, in the days of electromagnetic meters, one probably didn't need more than a decent magnet to achieve that!

Kind Regards, John
That didn’t work either. I tried it when I was young.

That didn’t work either. I tried it when I was young.
The story has always been around, but I never personally tried it. However, physics being physics, if the magnet were large enough I can't see how it could fail to work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back