What are your thoughts on this please.

The top of range Robin would have aborted the test, not so sure with the basic model I have never tried to see what it does. I think there is some thing to tell me if there is current imbalance it is a while since used, seem to remember it shows mA current to earth, but son has at the moment so can't check, but sure it does tell you if there is current passing through earth wire.
Fair enough.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
How would the IR between any two of those pins alter if one swapped two of connections to the plug?

I must still be missing something!

Kind Regards, John

If the two wires are not swapped then there would be expected to be no current (or permitted leakage) flowing when you applied 250 (or 500 whatever it is) V ac.

If earth and neutral were swapped, then you will expect the device to draw a considerable current, as you would be applying the high voltage between L and N in effect.

Both of these would apply whether or not there was a separate earth wire, or if it weren't connected in the device.

If the two wires are not swapped then there would be expected to be no current (or permitted leakage) flowing when you applied 250 (or 500 whatever it is) V ac.
Indeed.
If earth and neutral were swapped, then you will expect the device to draw a considerable current, as you would be applying the high voltage between L and N in effect.
You would - but only if the device were 'switched on' during the test. Is it normal to IR test the power cable of a device when it is 'switched on'?

Anyway, in answer to my question, that possibility is obviously what I was 'missing'!

In any event, eric has now explained that PATesting involves measuring earth current when the device is 'powered up', and that would obviously catch this error/fault.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Is it normal to IR test the power cable of a device when it is 'switched on'?
Yes, of course, what would be the point otherwise? Also the tests Eric mentioned would not be started because the IR test would fail and prevent further testing.

Last edited:
Yes, of course, what would be the point otherwise?
To test the cable.

I suppose that my mind is focussed on the testing of electrical installations, when I would have said that the purpose of IR tests is almost always to test cables and any 'incidental' conductive paths between conductors (usually due to water ingress etc.) and rarely (if ever) to test for live-earth faults within attached loads/equipment - so one would, in those circumstances, nearly always want the load/equipment disconnected or 'switched off'.

Kind Regards, John

My god, aren’t electricians deep!
They are always in a rush and faffing!
Great bunch of blokes though.
Thanks for your input to my question guys.
I’ve learned a lot.

Never ask an electrician a simple question! Xxxxxxx

And when I think back, I bought my kids toy hammers, saws and screwdrivers, so taught how to use them from early age, maybe from one year old, so needing a tool does not make it safe.
Yes, I remember getting "real" tools one Christmas - I must have been at least 6 based on where we lived at the time. And from an early age would get taught both how to do things, and how not to remove appendages in the process. The grand kids will be getting that treatment someday - might have to teach them how to build a garage as the first step :rolleyes: The plan is eventually to be able to send one of them to do the oily bits that involve crawling underneath vehicles :sneaky:
Do I take it that PATesting requires that every plug be opened up for inspection (assuming, of course, that it can be opened)?
Yes if you are doing it properly. You need to check that it's wired correctly (not like the picture), got the right fuse, terminated properly, and the cord grip is properly gripping the cord. If it's moulded on then it's just a visual and check the fuse rating. These days I also check the pin dimensions if they don't "look right". https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/professional-resources/product-safety/plug-checker/ Hmm, I'll need to get some more soon, I keep giving them away to friends.
Is it normal to IR test the power cable of a device when it is 'switched on'?
Yes, where possible. If it's a good old fashioned mechanical switch then it's easy, but obviously for a lot of stuff that's not possible. Some fancy testers do allow you to power up the device, in which case you could turn it on - but I don't know if they actually allow you to pause between power up and run the tests as would be needed to switch equipment on.

And from an early age would get taught both how to do things, and how not to remove appendages in the process. The grand kids will be getting that treatment someday
I received the same advice to some extent and like you am trying to do the same with my grandsons.
So at age 6 he wanted his own camp at camp and he learnt how to use some tools including powertools:
upload_2020-10-12_0-33-52.png

Before there are any observations about holding chuck etc, at this stage the pic was posed and for safety the drill was not powered.

... Before there are any observations about holding chuck etc, at this stage the pic was posed and for safety the drill was not powered.
Fair enough, but I will 'observe' that its seems rather odd that someone decided to pose him 'holding the chuck' :)

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough, but I will 'observe' that its seems rather odd that someone decided to pose him 'holding the chuck' :)

Kind Regards, John
Sadly the process of posing is as difficult with a 6 year old as learning to use power tools and trying to do both at the same time was just too difficult.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back