What exactly can I DIY without notifying buildings dept?

Sponsored Links
saxondale said:
see you just can`t accept that someone can know things and do things without having to know the exact ref paragraph and sub section of the top of their heads
But you're not talking off the top of your head. You're sitting at a computer with ready access, via the Internet, to a wealth of information. If you don't know where to find, and therefore haven't read, the legislation that defines what you're legally allowed to do, then you're really not qualified to advise people on this topic.

like I`ve said we do it, it gets assesed and inspected bi-annually and it isnt breaking any law, its real life
Well, my real life includes knowing when and why I've done something illegal. Yours clearly involves working blind. Each to his own.

so whats you obsestion with judges - something you wanna admit maybe ?
Assuming that you mean "obsession", WTF are you talking about?

working blind ? illegal ? havnt read ? not qualified ? ah bless - your getting upset

i got the install side quals. and a current 16th edition ( no I aint bothered to look up the C&G numbers) I wouldnt call myself a sparks and I wouldnt want to be one but it puts you out that I`m not in your little club doesn`t it

saxondale said:
Assuming that you mean "obsession", WTF are you talking about?
working blind ? illegal ? havnt read ? not qualified ?
Is that your best attempt at explaining?

your getting upset
Assuming that you meant "you're", then you're wrong.

I wouldnt call myself a sparks
Nor would anyone else.

I wouldnt want to be one but it puts you out that I`m not in your little club doesn`t it
Which club would that be? The "I Can Read And Write" gang, perhaps?

Which club would that be? The "I Can Read And Write" gang, perhaps?

LOL - Looks Like They Cancelled Your Membership too

look it`s quite simple - I post how I do it, you post how you do it, I aint bothered whever you say my ways right or wrong, I know it isnt

Sponsored Links
saxondale said:
you post how you do it
Where have I done that?

I aint bothered
Clearly you are bothered, because you've been arguing about it.

It doesn't matter what you actually do, or don't do, or whether it's legal or illegal. What matters is that you have no business advising people because you're completely unable to say what is legal and for what reason.

saxondale said:
you post how you do it
Where have I done that?

I aint bothered
Clearly you are bothered, because you've been arguing about it.

It doesn't matter what you actually do, or don't do, or whether it's legal or illegal. What matters is that you have no business advising people because you're completely unable to say what is legal and for what reason.

ah I see, so the fact I`m not at the office and cant be bothered to google stuff makes my advice wrong - jeez no wonder plumbers think there gold plated on site

saxondale said:
It's really quite unlikely that you do.

so the fact I`m not at the office and cant be bothered to google stuff makes my advice wrong
I honestly don't know what makes your advice wrong, but you not being right probably has a lot to do with it.

saxondale said:
It's really quite unlikely that you do.

so the fact I`m not at the office and cant be bothered to google stuff makes my advice wrong
I honestly don't know what makes your advice wrong, but you not being right probably has a lot to do with it.

like you said - you dont know my advice is wrong (btw it isnt)

nope just worked it out - your another serial poster who goes into the " spelling , grammer , name me the exact reg. subsection and paragraph...." when you want to make yourself sound higher and more knowledgable than you are. heck theres probably only four real guys on this site - cause the rest of you sure all type the same

same as the poor guy who wondered about his day old boiler got

saxondale said:
like you said - you dont know my advice is wrong (btw it isnt)
I doubt that you're intelligent enough to have deliberately misread my post, but it clearly said that I don't know what makes your advice wrong, not that I didn't know whether or not it's wrong.

...name me the exact reg. subsection and paragraph....
Please show me where I've asked you to name any regulation, section, or sub-section.

You were the one who claimed that you know what the law is, and went on to state that the Building Regulations aren't law, then changed your mind, then made it clear that you've never read them, and that you don't know where they are and can't be bothered to look for them.

I don't see how could anyone could possibly fail to appear higher and mightier than you, on the basis of that performance.

You were the one who attempted to make this personal. If you truly aren't bothered, then just stop posting.

If you want to keep posting, then please do. It won't be difficult to point out where you're wrong, although tiptoeing through the minefield of your spelling mistakes is taking a lot of concentration.

If you want to keep posting, then please do. It won't be difficult to point out where you're wrong

make your mind up man - either you do know on what grounds you say i`m wrong, or you don`t know, in which case you have less input to give on this topic than your claiming i do (which in my eyes makes you nothing more than a bully)

as for pointing out spelling mistakes - thats the kind of thing my seven year old does

saxondale said:
make your mind up man - either you do know on what grounds you say i`m wrong, or you don`t know
Oh trust me, I do. ;)

as for pointing out spelling mistakes - thats the kind of thing my seven year old does
It makes sense that even a seven-year-old could spell better.

and everyone just ignores the PIR in the kitchen

What's wrong with installing a Passive Infra-Red detector in a kitchen?

schedule 2B - section 3a

Schedule 2B - section 3a said:
3. Work on -
(a) telephone wiring or extra-low voltage wiring for the purposes of communications, information
technology, signalling, control and similar purposes, where the wiring is not in a special location;

A kitchen isn't a special location as defined in section 4 so installing a PIR in a kitchen is afaict a non-notifiable activity.

But a PIR is not covered by "extra-low voltage wiring for the purposes of communications, information technology, signalling, control and similar purposes".

However, 2B (2):

2. Work which—
(a) is not in a kitchen, or a special location,
(b) does not involve work on a special installation, and
(c) consists of—
(i) adding light fittings and switches to an existing circuit; or
(ii) adding socket outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit;

makes installing a PIR in a kitchen notifiable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back