What good is going to come out of this.

Sponsored Links
Likely things will change for a long time. High Street was already in crises, now people will realise they don't need new clothes every month, or to spend half their disposable income on eating out.

Some people will have more money, many others far less.
My wife has saved over £200 on two haircut and colours during lockdown. She's now realised she desperately needs to spend it and has promised never again to moan about the price of a hairdo!

I kind of been doing that.

Usually every year I buy loads of plants for the garden -this years Ive been finding plants that have seeded themselves, moved some plants that have been overshadowed and sown a load of seeds. Ive managed to fill nearly all the pots and borders without buying a single new plant.
Yes, similar here. I'd been lucky enough to have seeds I bought in the sales last year. I am missing going to the gardening centre though and having a look around. Found out our local one had over a thousand people go in on Saturday by 11am - not sure how that works with social distancing and I think I'll avoid it until it calms down..

Just one of the reasons why, when things are all sorted, and the kids are older, I'd love to move to the dordogne.....

I'm looking to get out too. UK is getting too busy, stupidly overpriced/expensive and turning third world. Quality of life going backwards. Seriously looking at Czech Republic, a country I've been visiting since 1995 and is a haven of sanity in Europe. But don't tell everyone or they'll all be rushing there. ;)

Sponsored Links
I'm looking to get out too. UK is getting too busy, stupidly overpriced/expensive and turning third world. Quality of life going backwards. Seriously looking at Czech Republic, a country I've been visiting since 1995 and is a haven of sanity in Europe. But don't tell everyone or they'll all be rushing there. ;)
what is it like out in the rural areas or smaller villages?

I've only visited Prague, which was lovely -a mate of mine is a builder and his customer had a flat in the city, so we went over for a few days. Also a mate of mine who I used to play badminton with Czech and so we got shown around the non tourist spots.

My Czech mate had to scarper with his family as the Soviet invasion happened.

what is it like out in the rural areas or smaller villages?

I've only visited Prague, which was lovely -a mate of mine is a builder and his customer had a flat in the city, so we went over for a few days. Also a mate of mine who I used to play badminton with Czech and so we got shown around the non tourist spots.

My Czech mate had to scarper with his family as the Soviet invasion happened.

It's quite different away from the capital. I sometimes stay in a small town in Moravia which is the Eastern side of CZ, Prague is capital of Bohemia on Western side. It's very Czech with little English spoken. Population is about 100% indigenous Czech, not the mix we're used to. Crime is very low and everywhere is safe, day or night. It's a quiet backwater, and even the cities in the area are liveable and not hectic. They're quite relaxed without the consumerism b0II0x that obsesses Brits. Their culture is important to them, and manners are a big thing. They're quite friendly to Brits, much more than The French for example. It's a traditional country, bit like stepping back several decades. Most Czechs in cities live in flats, but outside cities, houses often have land where people grow things and keep a few animals. The roads are good, but not busy. Not potholes everywhere like here. Only bad jams are in Prague. Czechs often have a job for life, and whether you're a barman, waiter, tram driver or railway guard, they tend to take a pride in their job and appearence. It's their profession, not just a temp job filling in and they take it seriously.

Food is ok, but quite meat based and can be a bit heavy. Excellent value though, and big portions. Beer is some of the best in world (lager, but not chemical). There are 100s of breweries big and small, and out of tourist areas in Prague it's usually less than £1 pint/.5 litre. Pub culture is big and beer is everywhere. It's cheaper than mineral water where you can buy a .5 litre bottle in a supermarket for 50p. Pubs are busy and thriving, like ours were 40 years ago. Very cheap to live there. Friend rents a small flat and pays £175 pm and only other bill is leccy at £15 pm. No rates to pay. People in UK don't know how much they're being screwed.

The railways aren't high speed, and rolling stock is often old which is good because they still have seperate compartments in carriages. The trains aren't busy like ours and I often get a compartment to myself. Four hour journey is about £10, first class £20. Train travel is relaxing rolling through the countryside and complete opposite of the overcrowded, over priced trains we suffer here.

Wouldn't say that Czech countryside is as picturesque as say France, etc. But it's nice, quiet and has plenty of old and interesting places to visit. Plenty of historic towns if you want that. It's just a very civilised place where people have their priorities right and all very affordable.

Last edited:
It's quite different away from the capital. I sometimes stay in a small town in Moravia which is the Eastern side of CZ, Prague is capital of Bohemia on Western side. It's very Czech with little English spoken. Population is about 100% indigenous Czech, not the mix we're used to. Crime is very low and everywhere is safe, day or night. It's a quiet backwater, and even the cities in the area are liveable and not hectic. They're quite relaxed without the consumerism b0II0x that obsesses Brits. Their culture is important to them, and manners are a big thing. They're quite friendly to Brits, much more than The French for example. It's a traditional country, bit like stepping back several decades. Most Czechs in cities live in flats, but outside cities, houses often have land where people grow things and keep a few animals. The roads are good, but not busy. Not potholes everywhere like here. Only bad jams are in Prague. Czechs often have a job for life, and whether you're a barman, waiter, tram driver or railway guard, they tend to take a pride in their job and appearence. It's their profession, not just a temp job filling in and they take it seriously.

Food is ok, but quite meat based and can be a bit heavy. Excellent value though, and big portions. Beer is some of the best in world (lager, but not chemical). There are 100s of breweries big and small, and out of tourist areas in Prague it's usually less than £1 pint/.5 litre. Pub culture is big and beer is everywhere. It's cheaper than mineral water where you can buy a .5 litre bottle in a supermarket for 50p. Pubs are busy and thriving, like ours were 40 years ago. Very cheap to live there. Friend rents a small flat and pays £175 pm and only other bill is leccy at £15 pm. No rates to pay. People in UK don't know how much they're being screwed.

The railways aren't high speed, and rolling stock is often old which is good because they still have seperate compartments in carriages. The trains aren't busy like ours and I often get a compartment to myself. Four hour journey is about £10, first class £20. Train travel is relaxing rolling through the countryside and complete opposite of the overcrowded, over priced trains we suffer here.

Wouldn't say that Czech countryside is as picturesque as say France, etc. But it's nice, quiet and has plenty of old and interesting places to visit. Plenty of historic towns if you want that. It's just a very civilised place where people have their priorities right and all very affordable.
Thankyou for that...very interesting insight.

Sponsored Links
Back