What Happens Here On P-Day?

boyesey said:
Does this also mean that B&Q will be closing the eletrical isle, and having a closing down sale in December to get shut of all the stock???
You can buy windows, soil piping and even gas boilers from the Sheds so why do you think they will stop supplying electrics?

Sponsored Links
Buy enough T&E to rewire your next 3 houses, old colours if possible :LOL:

I see nobody followed Ban all sheds lead..but what a good debate. Shame about the cats getting away.
You can do the EAL Level 2 Certificate in Electrical Installation and (according to NICIEC) you can then self certify even if not otherwise qualified. So if that doesnt prove its all just a money spinner I am not sure what does.
At least 2 places I have talked to haven't yet started the course and are looking to do so in February, at a cost of about GBP 1,125. Against the cost of 2381 and even 2391 that a lot of cash (what a money spinner!)
To get back to the original question, there seems to be enough of a general disclaimer to enable these good debates to continue

Sponsored Links
BruisedThumb said:
I still want to know, what is going to happen to this section of the Forum on P-day?

Why should anything happen? DIY electrical work is not going to become illegal. It will simply become notifiable under the building regulations in the same way that loft conversions, extensions, window replacement etc, are. You will still be able to do anything you like to your own property so long as you can prove that it is in accordance with the building regs.

Indeed, and in the same way that in Band Q you can still buy cement powder, bricks and sand, but they don't say at the till "Oh, you must contact the building control officer if you arrange them into a habitable extension, but not a garden shed"
I really can't see much changing - except possibly some more punctilious people adding a signature rider like, 'If you do work in the kitchen, garden or bathroom it may count as notifiable work to building control - check with your local council before starting work if in doubt'

regards M.

" if you do electrical work in the kitchen, garden or bathroom it may be notifiable work. Check with your local council before starting if in doubt"

ZenStalinist said:
That said, I'm largely against part P.

ban-all-sheds said:
Trying to keep people on-topic here is like trying to herd cats.....

I'm largely against cats. You have 27.85g of sand delivered and they use it as a toilet, use your fences as scratching posts, scream and fight at night, and my dog comes in from the garden smelling of them. Ugh.

Surely (don't call me shirley) it should carry on trying to help people as much as it can as long as people are aware of the complications regarding sale if work is not checked off.
I mean there must be life after p day? isn't there? perhaps not!

Most of the leccy work that DIY'ers do won't get reported to the Council for inspection will it!

Why would any DIY'er (who has saved a few quid doing it himself) then pay the Council £230 to come and check it? Worse still if the inspection shows up something that does not comply with the regs, you'll then have to fix the problem then pay again for a re-test!

This aint gunna happen!

Maybe a few conscientious DIY'ers WILL go this route but I believe the vast majority will just keep quiet about it.

When you sell your house, who on earth will know WHEN these leccy alterations were done?

JerryD said:
Most of the leccy work that DIY'ers do won't get reported to the Council for inspection will it!

Quite right... it won't

JerryD said:
Why would any DIY'er (who has saved a few quid doing it himself) then pay the Council £230 to come and check it? Worse still if the inspection shows up something that does not comply with the regs, you'll then have to fix the problem then pay again for a re-test!

Where do you people get these sums from? And when you say 'council' do you know who you really mean?

JerryD said:
When you sell your house, who on earth will know WHEN these leccy alterations were done?

Well, when you sell your house you will have to verify that any work done during your occupancy - anything covered by the Building Regulations - is to the required standard. If you lie and you are found out, that would be fraudulent and you might find yourself held to account. As for when things were done, considering the wiring colours are in transition to the new colours, it will soon be pretty obvious when works were done.

dingbat said:
As for when things were done, considering the wiring colours are in transition to the new colours, it will soon be pretty obvious when works were done.

How so? The presence of wiring with the new colors proves only that it must have been carried out after the new cables were on sale. The new harmonized cables have been available for months.

Paul_C said:
dingbat said:
As for when things were done, considering the wiring colours are in transition to the new colours, it will soon be pretty obvious when works were done.

How so? The new harmonized cables have been available for months. The presence of wiring with the new colors proves nothing.

Of course it won't date any work exactly, but as the new wiring colours have only been available since April 2004, any such wiring could not have dated from before then. So, if you owned the place before April 2004 and sell in, say 2008, you'd have a hard job convincing anybody that the security lights wired in brown and blue were "there already, guvnor"

And just as with the transition from VIR to PVC (still not yet complete!) the colour change will prove a reasonably accurate marker as to the age of some installations.

So, if you owned the place before April 2004 and sell in, say 2008, you'd have a hard job convincing anybody that the security lights wired in brown and blue were "there already, guvnor"
True, but what I was suggesting was that the presence of the new colors can in no way be used to show that anybody carried out work without reporting it the council after 1/1/2005.

"The new wiring on the lights? Let me see...... Ah yes, I added those during the summer of 2004."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back