What have you been doing today?

Had the MIL round today and I made her a nice roast chicken dinner. After a spell in hospital she has been on dementia medication while we are waiting to get formal confirmation. She’s had carers in three times a day warming up ready meals but she really enjoyed "My first proper meal for weeks”. She said she actually felt "nourished from within". I plated up a spare dinner for her to take home with her - she says she's going to have the same tomorrow! Our son and grandson came round to see her and our daughter face-timed her for a chat. It was definitely one of her better days today so Mrs Mottie was happy too. I think I’ve earned a love token or two. ;) :ROFLMAO:

Over the years, I have spent three days in hospital on hospital meals - hospital meals are the best encouragement, to free the bed and go home for a proper meal :)

Sponsored Links
Over the years, I have spent three days in hospital on hospital meals - hospital meals are the best encouragement, to free the bed and go home for a proper meal :)
She didn’t mind the hospital meals - but she forgets to eat, has lost the ability to understand simple cooking instructions and has forgotten to turn the cooker off twice so we have had it disconnected for her own safety. We are having ready meals delivered that the carer can just pop in the microwave for her - they are not allowed to cook. It’s the ready meals that are being delivered that she doesn’t like.

I was on my way back from picking up my mums dog to take it to the vets for it’s annual jab when I saw a wood pigeon just sitting in the middle of the road just waiting to be squashed. I put my hazards on to stop the traffic, got out and caught it. I think it’s been hit by a car but nothing seems broken, hopefully it’s just in shock. It wasn’t easy driving back, changing gear and steering with a pigeon in one hand but I got home and it’s resting in a box in the garage at the moment. I’ll give it some food and water later and see if it’s up to flying away. Fingers crossed.

I think the dog is a bit frightened of it - it’s nearly as big as the dog. :ROFLMAO:

9ED9ECED-5C8C-4C18-80E6-C153150D512D.jpeg

She often finds hedgehogs in the garden, she barks at them, but because they don't run from her, she runs away from them :)

Sponsored Links
Update. After a rest, it seemed to have a bit of fight in it so I released it. It just about got up to the pyracantha bush. There was no way it would survive the night and if it dropped to the ground, a fox or a cat would have had it. I tried to shoo it back into my garden with a broom and it just hopped on for a free ride! It's back in the garage now. I’ve force fed and watered it and I’ll see how it is in the morning assuming it makes it through the night.

169BCDA3-0E85-4021-A35A-56D4D35B2FC6.jpeg
DFB32A05-31B4-47DD-BA99-04ABDC4D6D35.jpeg

Just been out and checked on it. Seems quite strong now - I had to wrap it in a towel to feed it just to keep a good hold on it. They are a fair bit stronger than rock doves (common street pigeons) or racing pigeons. I fed and watered it and made it comfy for the night. I’ll feed it again in the morning before I go up to the workshop and see how it is tomorrow afternoon. I’m feeling hopeful but I’ve had that feeling before and it turned out wrong. I can only hope and I’m not giving it a name!

A well deserved carvery lunch to get to which I took the bus - two of them in fact. The first one due of which skipped, as happened to the second one - making me really late. I needn't have worried, the turkey and beef hadn't suffered the first slicing yet :cool: Then a bit of shopping, to get some chicken breasts to have a go at making a Chicken Chasseur. Right or wrong, I put it in the slow cooker pot, on low for 6 hours. That will split into four freezer portions tomorrow, for stock. Smells great :)

I always try to remember to take along a thick sealable plastic bag with me, for any left overs for the dog and she always checks me and any bags over when I walk in, to see what I have come back with. She loves her carvery takeaway.

What I found using the slow cooker a couple of times, is that it helps to drape a towel over the top, to keep the heat in. It's got three setting low, medium and high, which I would think referred to temperature, but it seems to refer to refer to heat input - because it certainly gets hotter, when insulated with a towel. I've not investigated, but I would expect three thermal switches in there. Anyone know, save me opening it up?

Last edited:
Took my mums and my dog to the vets for their annual booster and health check. £55.00 each.My dogs teeth could do with a clean. I was quoted…..£500-£550 for a clean! She also has a few little lumps around her eyes and I enquired about having them removed while she was sedated. They wanted another £400! I think it’s time to find a new vets if I can - my regular one is taking the pîss lately. A consult is £55. yiu need to book a good week in advance to get a regular consult slot. Of course, in an emergency they will always fit you in. It’s £90 after 7.00 and £120 after 9.00 (they are open until 11.00 each night).

Neither of those treatments are urgent yet so I have time to look around.

01FAFF3C-C823-4AE9-800E-0200C26310E4.jpeg

No real improvement overnight but at least it’s still alive! Seems all okay but just has no interest in flying. I've fed and watered it and hung an old bird feeding table from my garage roof with some food and water on it to see if it can feed itself. I’ll leave it to roam free in the garage today. I’m pretty busy until the end of the week so it looks like I might be running it over Here tonight. They are a local charity and do good work for wildlife. The last two times I’ve been (collared dove and a hedgehog), they've taken them off me with no bother.

06ED63B1-8D3C-4635-9566-B95D0DD4D6F6.jpeg

F1D34EA5-8544-4B23-BC77-2C64A56A1122.jpeg

No real improvement overnight but at least it’s still alive! Seems all okay but just has no interest in flying.

It probably thinks along the lines of - If I stay were I am, I will be warm, comfortable and well fed, so why fly away?

What I found using the slow cooker a couple of times, is that it helps to drape a towel over the top, to keep the heat in. It's got three setting low, medium and high, which I would think referred to temperature, but it seems to refer to refer to heat input - because it certainly gets hotter, when insulated with a towel. I've not investigated, but I would expect three thermal switches in there. Anyone know, save me opening it up?

So, being of an enquiring mind, I opened it up to investigate. It has three element wattage ratings, switched by the switch and mounted on the outer metal case and just one preset temperature thermal switch. Which explains why providing any insulation around it, it cooks so much faster even on the low setting - as intended to be used, it relies upon the balance of heat loss, versus what goes into the food container, to set a cooking temperature, plus a very wasteful design in regards to energy consumption - having absolutely no insulation around it. No wonder simply adding a towel round it improves its performance so very much.

This morning, as the four chicken breast were so large, in the Chicken Chassuer, I sliced them up and split the contents into six freezer pots, each ample to make a meal. Dinner later, will be one of those, with creamy mashed potato.

It probably thinks along the lines of - If I stay were I am, I will be warm, comfortable and well fed, so why fly away?
Possibly…..but same again today, no improvement but no deterioration either. Still let’s me feed him - definitely no broken wing problems, poo is the right colour and he is friendly. Poor thing just sits in his temporary dwelling waiting to be fed. He doesn’t seem to be feeding or drinking by himself so I’m wondering whether he has concussion or dementia? Anyway, I phoned up our local wildlife hospital and they said to bring it down to them - if a wild animal lets you pick it up there’s something wrong - so I’m going to do that right now. I’ve done all I can do which, unfortunately has not been enough. :(
BD7D200E-9FC7-4B02-91B0-7761B61E15CA.jpeg
9977F274-A030-4413-B406-AAC4BA347FCC.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Back