What is the furthest you have traveled without using a plane on any part of the journey?

Done a few lengthy road trips in States late 1990s. One was Houston, Texas to Grand Canyon, Arizona and back. With a few detours was best part of 3,000 miles. Quite a lot in just under 3 weeks, but in a big Buick with V8, aircon, cruise control and their excellent roads it didn't feel as gruelling as it would doing that kind of mileage in UK. Other trip was NYC to Tennessee, but more sensibly this was only one way.

Done a fair few miles in South Africa, from Johannesbury/Pretoria, down to Durban/Pietermaritzburg - then down to Cape town taking in the Garden and Wine Route.

Drove to Czech Republic for all of Nov and Dec 2021, staying in small town on far side of the country near Ostrava. Was on my own and did the 1100 miles leaving Bristol on Monday morning, arriving CZ Weds lunchtime. Was knackered - slept most of a day on arrival. Return trip was a lot more leisurely and spent 4 nights in rural France (Calais area, near Watten) before getting ferry to Blighty.

One thing about hiring cars, particularly the ones we hired in South Africa, is they include several hundred kilometres in the price, but charge extra for every Km over that limit. You soon learn where the speedo cable unscrews from the gearbox. ;););) Just have to remember to reconnect it before handing car back.

Sponsored Links
The Summer after I did my A-levels, I, and a couple of school friends, did about 4500 miles from Liverpool to Dover, down through France to the Med, then along into Spain, and back up to the North coast of Spain, then up the West coast of France and back to Calais, and thence to Liverpool...

...in a Reliant! (OK, a deluxe 4 wheeled one, not a three-legger). Obviously, that did involve two ferry crossings, but no planes.

Southern Spain in a motorhome. Several times. Next trip includes Portugal, but via Santander for a restful(?) change instead of the channel ferries (although we'll come back via Dieppe or Caen or LeHavre as the fancy takes us).

Cheshire to San Tropez, then Italy. Over the Alps to Zurich, back home through Northern France. Was shot at at the Italian border. This in 1971 in a 69 Sunbeam Rapier. Don't know the mileage. A few thousand probably.

Sponsored Links
Southern Spain in a motorhome. Several times. Next trip includes Portugal, but via Santander for a restful(?) change instead of the channel ferries (although we'll come back via Dieppe or Caen or LeHavre as the fancy takes us).
Strange first post. What led you to this DIY site or have you been here before under a different user name?

The furthest I’ve been is from Sussex to John O groats and then on a boat to go around Stroma island looking at Puffins and those big blubbery things.

Sells motorhomes :ROFLMAO:

or is Himmie
No, and no (only ever owned one moho, and haven't sold it, and don't intend to - and whoever Himmie is).
I'm not sure why it's strange?
I joined looking for folk's experiences on a particular issue, found what I was looking for without needing to ask a question, and then had a browse and found this thread.
However, if I've strayed into a secretive forbidden clique, I'll try to quietly keep my counsel in future.

Which is your favourite chateau, Si?
For me it’s Azay le Rideau, then Chenonceaux then Villandry......all drop dead gorgeous!
John

No, and no (only ever owned one moho, and haven't sold it, and don't intend to - and whoever Himmie is).
I'm not sure why it's strange?
I joined looking for folk's experiences on a particular issue, found what I was looking for without needing to ask a question, and then had a browse and found this thread.
However, if I've strayed into a secretive forbidden clique, I'll try to quietly keep my counsel in future.
Welcome to the forum :)

Please do join in….the remarks were because unfortunately we get lots of spam.

Himmie is a member who continuously gets banned and rejoins under a new name…he’s made a bit of a name for himself…not in a good way (currently going under the name of Roy Bloom)

No, don't worry about Mottie. He's our attack dog, but will roll over and be friendly when he gets to know you.

You are most welcome (unless you really are Himmy or a raving lefty ;) )- room for all, the more the merrier. Welcome to DIYnot.

Vladivostok by train in the 90's from Kyvi and then Japan by ferry- how times have changed, took 21 days with a breakdown in Baykalsk for 3 days. When we got to Vladivostok it was shut... they had closed it to foreigners due to the the rotting nuclear icebreakers in the harbour.

In fairness they put us up a a huge hotel/spa complex for the old Pacific fleet crews that were no longer there...23 guests some 2000 odd rooms and it was spooky as anything.. everything had been nicked from light bulbs to whole rooms - they heated the main space with nuclear powered heaters..small thing with fins that had a pellet of plutonium in it. somewhere I have a picture of the wooden floor around the things..bleached white by the escaping radiation - the babushkas in charge told us nyet nyet and made a arrgh impression of dying...heath and safety lecture over.

Which is your favourite chateau, Si?
For me it’s Azay le Rideau, then Chenonceaux then Villandry......all drop dead gorgeous!
John
The one that stood out for me was the one over the river, can't remember the name.

We stayed in an old farmhouse belonging to a friend of Mrs S, with bats in the loft, so slightly less glamorous!

Sponsored Links
Back