What is the law please

Sponsored Links
Compliance with Part P of the building regulations is not mandatory under law,
If you live in England or Wales then compliance with Part P is mandatory under law for all electrical work in domestic dwellings or buildings with a common supply.
Most LABCs in my experience haven't got a blimmin' clue about Part P, "special locations", it's scope or application or the correct implementation - instead they choose to brainwash the public that it is "illegal" to do anything for yourself. WHICH IT ISN'T.
I know it isn't illegal providing if the work is notifiable the person if not a member of a competent person scheme notifies the LABC and pays their fee before starting.
And before I get shot at, yes I DO have my C&G 230 (from 1985!), 2382 (last year's update) AND 2391. There's a good living to be made in putting right DIY c**kups!!
I also have a certificate for 2382 & 2391 but I did an apprenticeship gaining an NVQ3.
Doesn't mean I am always right tho.

They have the power to take people to court and order removal of unsafe work.

But not to put you in prison for daring to add a spur in the kitchen! :eek:
So because they cant send you to prison, it means its not the law . . . .

. . . . Right . . . .

Anyway, they can fine you, and if you dont pay, prison could follow. 30 days IIRC. So they CAN imprison you if you break the law.

They have the power to take people to court and order removal of unsafe work.

But not to put you in prison for daring to add a spur in the kitchen! :eek:
I agree that that wouldn't happen in practice if all you'd done was to fail to notify something.

But the offence of contravening the Building Regulations can be punished by a term of imprisonment of up to 6 months and a fine of up to £5,000..

Sponsored Links
Blimey, I've opened a can of worms here!!

Many thanks for all of your replys and input into what seems to be a 'touchy' subject. I suppose that the good and proper thing to do is employ a 'qualified' Electrician and if cash permits that is what I would like to do but in the meantime I will look at the options at what is doable and not.

Once again thanks for your input,.
GaryB

If I can add something.

I wanted a modern consumer unit with an RCD fitted.

My wife wanted here uncle to do it as he is a fab electrician with shed fulls of experience and does everything neat and tidy. But he decided to stop when part-p was introduced but still does a bit now and again for family.

I stuck to my guns and insisted on having a part-p electrician for it all to be legal. The part-p did an absolutely terrible job. he had very little knowledge of things when I asked him questions, he was hesitant with his work and struggled to use his test equipment on the final test. OK. I got a certificate thingy through the post to say it is all safe but the quality of the installation is cac!

My wife wont let me live it down!

I'm sure there is a moral to this somewhere!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back