PART P, ive got an interesting one.

Sponsored Links
It's not "his" wall.
On the contrary it IS the complainer's neighbour's wall. (unfortunatly, the OP uses the tern "neighbour's" for the people on both sides of the wall, leading to confusion.

The OP said the box is "legally is on the neighbours (meaning complainer's) property as its in their airspace" implying that it's on the complainer's neighbour's wall and that the boundary is the outside surface of the wall.

I've got a suspicion from way back that a court will not entertain someone's claim who has "soiled hands". Since the flower gulley and trellis soil the complainer's hands, if I have remembered correctly, he's precluded from persuing his complaint about the electrical box through the courts.

It's not "his" wall.
On the contrary it IS the complainer's neighbour's wall. (unfortunatly, the OP uses the tern "neighbour's" for the people on both sides of the wall, leading to confusion.
What I meant was because it's a party wall the complainant's neighbour does not have complete freedom to do whatever he likes to or on either side of it.

I've got a suspicion from way back that a court will not entertain someone's claim who has "soiled hands". Since the flower gulley and trellis soil the complainer's hands, if I have remembered correctly, he's precluded from persuing his complaint about the electrical box through the courts.
Sounds dodgy.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q="s...=ivns&ei=avFKTc7uNcSg8QPh2tnKAQ&start=10&sa=N

What I meant was because it's a party wall the complainant's neighbour does not have complete freedom to do whatever he likes to or on either side of it.
Who said it's a party wall? I have assumed the wall abutes the boundary and it's not built on it. The neighbour's roof depends on the wall for support.

Sounds dodgy..

Thanks for the link. Seems I remembered it almost right. Try "clean hands" instead of "soiled hands"

Sponsored Links
Who said it's a party wall? I have assumed the wall abutes the boundary and it's not built on it.
AFAIK that makes it a party wall.

Thanks for the link. Seems I remembered it almost right. Try "clean hands" instead of "soiled hands"
So are you suggesting that because the complainant has fixed trellis and a flowerpot to the wall he can do nothing about the electrical box?

Would that be like if he had something growing up a fence he would have lost the right to cut back overhanging branches of a neighbour's tree?

Or (if it's a semi) he sinks a socket into the dividing wall of the two houses there's nothing he can do if his neighbour drills a hole right through?

Probably irrelevant anyway, because I can't see this going to court.

Who said it's a party wall? I have assumed the wall abutes the boundary and it's not built on it.
AFAIK that makes it a party wall.

It was explained to me during a dispute over acess that

A party wall is a wall shared by two properties where both properties rely on the wall for support and is therefor a structural part of both buildings.

A boundary wall is not a party wall even if it is part of a building.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back