What is the law please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm new to the site and it would be great if someone can help me. I have recently purchased a 1930s property which will require rewiring.
I have wired an extention on a previous property without any problems and I am more than able to take on most basic electrical projects without too many hicups.
Can someone please clarify what the law is on homeowners doing their own electrics and if you need to take a course or pass an exam to carry out the works on your own property.

Any help would be really appreciated

Many Thanks

Gary B :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
It is an organisation founded by Sir Robert Peel, but that's not important right now.

Sponsored Links
Part P of the building regs state anyone competent can do electrical work, as long as its done safely. One way of doing it safely is to use the 17th edition of the wiring regs.

Part P also states that if you aren't qualified (ie. cant prove your competence), you must notify any major works or works in a special location (kitchen, bathroom and outdoors) to your local authority's building control before starting work. The LABC will test and inspect your work. Qualified and registered electricians can test and inspect their own work. LABC charge for their job, between £60 and 150. They are not allowed to charge extra for inspecting.

Part P also states that if you aren't qualified (ie. cant prove your competence), you must notify any major works or works in a special location (kitchen, bathroom and outdoors) to your local authority's building control before starting work.

No it does not. It says, in effect, that if the work is to be done by someone who is not a member of an approved Competent Persons Scheme (regardless of what technical qualifications they may or may not hold) then you must notify notifable works in advance, etc, which is something else entirely.

Part P also states that if you aren't qualified (ie. cant prove your competence), you must notify any major works or works in a special location (kitchen, bathroom and outdoors) to your local authority's building control before starting work.

No it does not. It says that if you are not a member of an approved Competent Persons Scheme then you must notify notifable works in advance, etc, , which is something else entirely.
How is it? If you're a member of a competent persons scheme, you can thus proove your competence, which is what I was getting at.

This is the sort of pedantry I expect from ban. ;)

You can prove your competence by holding C & G 2330, 2382 and 2391 but if you are not a member of a competent persons scheme you still have to notify building control in advance.

This is not pedantry - your statement was inaccurate

To be pedantic, a kitchen isn't a special location. However there are still additional limits as to what you are allowed to do in a kitchen without notification.
Outdoors in a normal situation isn't a special location either. A power or lighting circuit being installed outdoors is a special installation hence will require notification.

You can prove your competence by holding C & G 2330, 2382 and 2391 but if you are not a member of a competent persons scheme you still have to notify building control in advance.
The problem is, holding any of the above qualifications does not prove competency in all aspects of our industry. That is why the competent person schemes carry out on site assessment based on the type of work the person/company will be doing.

Most of the qualified commercial sparks that I come across would require some re-training before they could carry out domestic installations in accordance with the Building Regs and 7671 2008.

And probably many qualified domestic sparks too, as none of the C&G electrical qualifications cover anything to do with Building Regulations, except possibly Part A.

But then neither does the EAL DISQ NVQ.....

Are you all missing the point that none of this is "the Law". Compliance with Part P of the building regulations is not mandatory under CRIMINAL law, compliance with BS7671 17th Edition wiring regs is not mandatory under law - merely guidance for best practice. OP, The "DIY Police" are not going to bust your door down and arrest you for doing this for yourself.

Most LABCs in my experience haven't got a blimmin' clue about Part P, "special locations", it's scope or application or the correct implementation - instead they choose to brainwash the public that it is "illegal" to do anything for yourself. WHICH IT ISN'T.

And before I get shot at, yes I DO have my C&G 230 (from 1985!), 2382 (last year's update) AND 2391. There's a good living to be made in putting right DIY c**kups!!

Edited just a tiny bit for clarification

Electrical installations within dwellings are now covered by Part P (and others) of the building regulations. As such, failure to comply with the building regulations is a criminal offence and Local Authorities have the power to require the removal or alteration of work that does not comply with the requirements.

Part P is part of the statutory document which forms the building regulations. Compliance with the building regulations is compulsory, and it is what building control are there for, to check compliance.

They have the power to take people to court and order removal of unsafe work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back