what is the point....?

Sponsored Links
i can not fathom, the time it takes to envisage how it would be different or special to have a number plate that resembled a nick name.

bearing in mind this is on a....

...car!.

vanity and self-importance aside, do people really enjoy it? i mean, come on! you must feel a little bit uncomfortable, a bit like the hair dresser syndrome with sporty cabriolets.

I'm not sure how you expect me to make you understand. You either 'get it' or you don't. I have the same problem at the moment with my daughter and trigonometry.

to have a number plate that resembled a nick name.

Repeating myself is becoming tedious. But for the hard of reading, it does not resemble my nickname, it is my nickname.

Mine is my amateur radio call sign, won it in a competition and is marginally useful

Slightly off topic , but a customer of mine was into that. He had a stack of cards from around the world that HAM's (if thast the right term) swop with each other.

Fella I worked with was called Smith (I kid you not) and he was obsessed with getting a plate that said 5miffy or some ridiculous synonym even though he had never been called smiffy in his life

Sponsored Links
it is the fact that you have coughed for a number plate at all, i can not fathom.

i guess some folks value their car more than others, and think that their car is viewed with some kind of adulation from adoring masses. :rolleyes:

Fella I worked with was called Smith (I kid you not) and he was obsessed with getting a plate that said 5miffy or some ridiculous synonym even though he had never been called smiffy in his life

Just goes to prove my 'fool' comment.

i can not fathom, the time it takes to envisage how it would be different or special to have a number plate that resembled a nick name.

bearing in mind this is on a....

...car!.

vanity and self-importance aside, do people really enjoy it? i mean, come on! you must feel a little bit uncomfortable, a bit like the hair dresser syndrome with sporty cabriolets.

I'm not sure how you expect me to make you understand. You either 'get it' or you don't. I have the same problem at the moment with my daughter and trigonometry.

to have a number plate that resembled a nick name.

Repeating myself is becoming tedious. But for the hard of reading, it does not resemble my nickname, it is my nickname.

How do you know how your nickname is spelled, lets say its Dixie or maybe Dicksie or Dixy or Dicksy so there must be a bit of manipulation involved

BoxCleva,
I am not sure this forum can be off topic.
Ham radio in the USA amateur in the UK. The cards are called QSL cards but have not had one for years, I think the internet killed them generally.

i guess some folks value their car more than others, and think that their car is viewed with some kind of adulation from adoring masses.

It's about personalising your possession. Have you ever painted your house ? Your fence ? Ever cosmetically improved anything? I would guess that the answer is yes, so you personalised it, just as I have personalised my car. I am sure there are people who think you spending money on some of your home improvements is unfathomable.

Getting back to vehicles. Have you ever fitted a different stereo in a car, or wheels /stripes/spoiler? That is no different to a personalised plate.

I would imagine private plates do not impact on your enjoyment of life or cause misery to to others. Get over it ;)

you can not drive a house around town at 20mph with music blaring can you?

geddit yet?

cars eh :rolleyes:

How do you know how your nickname is spelled, lets say its Dixie or maybe Dicksie or Dixy or Dicksy so there must be a bit of manipulation involved

Yet another who assumes too much.

I can assure you there could only be one spelling of my nickname. Even if you were a knuckle dragging hoody, you would know instantly how it is spelt. Even without knowing my surname, which is where it comes from.

Yet another who assumes too much.

I can assure you there could only be one spelling of my nickname. Even if you were a knuckle dragging hoody, you would know instantly how it is spelt. Even without knowing my surname, which is where it comes from.

I did not assume I gave an example to illustrate the question, so as you like to display your nickname in public lets have a look

you can not drive a house around town at 20mph with music blaring can you?

geddit yet?

cars eh icon_rolleyes.gif

Wow, I see its official 'DIYNOT misguided assumption night' tonight. Bizarre!

So you are suggesting that as I have a private plate I must drive round town at 20 mph blaring music ? The vehicle the plate is currently on is a people carrier. My wife is the primary driver, and whilst I concede she isn't the best driver she definitely doesn't cruise around town :confused:

You seem to have a problem with freedom of choice and expressionism. Not a closet communist are you by any chance ?

I did not assume

Yes you did, you clearly stated.

How do you know how your nickname is spelled

and then

so there must be a bit of manipulation involved

You assumed that I had manipulated the plate to fit the nickname or vice versa. You are wrong. You also assumed that the spelling of my nickname is open to interpretation. You are wrong.

so as you like to display your nickname in public lets have a look

Pop round any night, I'll put the kettle on.

C'mon Boxy lets have it, the only nickname in the world not open to alternative spelling, could make you famous, or is that what you crave with your private plate

Sponsored Links
Back