Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I am about to have my new kitchen installed but am a bit confused by integrated microwave sizes.
The unit is a tall (2340 mm) oven and appliance housing.
So is it simply a matter of overall size - the legs (150 mm) which leaves 2190 mm.
Then take off the doors and the oven 2190-723-453-590 which leaves 424 mm
So is the niche size for my microwave 424 mm? I have seen some which are 380 tall and others which are 450 tall. Do they just use fillers if too small and is it simply a matter of getting a smaller door if I need a larger niche?
I've attached a pic of the housing and the 2 microwave dimensions.
Thanks all

Attachments

• IMG_20210622_070458.jpg
    IMG_20210622_070458.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20210622_073612.jpg
    IMG_20210622_073612.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20210622_073541.jpg
    IMG_20210622_073541.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
They also do a door which is 687 tall. If I went for the larger microwave could I just swap that for the 723 door?

I have a combi microwave at eye level, which is pretty big, and I think I am unlikely to want to change it for anything smaller.

For the convenience of door sizes, it has a small gap above it, and a filler piece. Above it is a crockery cabinet. In your position I think I would design for the biggest appliance you might want in future, and use a filler to hide the gap.

I am lucky enough to have a lot of matching oddments, so I could change mine for a different-size filler if I wanted. I suppose you could use matching cornice or something if you were not so lucky.

microwaves are not very heavy and can sit on an ordinary shelf. Towers usually come with one extra-strong shelf intended to bear the weight of a conventional double oven. Some people put appliances such as coffee machines in their tower, but that leaves quite a lot of wasted space.

If there is anyone in the house who is not very tall, or has poor grip, anything above eye level ought to be reserved for large, light items that will be seldom used (e.g. box of Xmas decs) or you can get a cantilevered swing-down basket fitting, but mine are intended for wall cabinets that are only about 300mm deep.

Thanks for your response. Are my calculations correct? If I went for the 687 door with 450- 453 left for the microwave that should fit with about 7-10 mm left to fill? Am I leaving anything out?

Sponsored Links
7-10mm is not worth bothering with a filler, IMO. You will need a bit of slack to push the appliance in and out.

So should be a perfect fit if my calculations are correct? Sorry, just trying to get my head around it all.

I just checked mine, appliance height is 350mm incl feet; aperture looks like 420mm to the top of the filler, I have a 50mm filler with a bit of a gap visible but looks OK. The filler has a bit of gap to the door above.

maybe 420mm or 424mm is standard height for a microwave aperture? Not sure where the 18mm shelf above and below use up the height so it might be 400mm actual. I have a bit of trim below the microwave hiding the front of its shelf.

p.s.
the shelf for the real oven is about twice as thick, but built-in ovens have top, bottom and side trims to hide it.

Last edited:
I just checked mine, appliance height is 350mm incl feet; aperture is 420mm, I have a 50mm filler with a bit of a gap visible but looks OK. The filler has a bit of gap to the door above.

maybe 420mm or 424mm is standard height for a microwave aperture? Not sure where the 18mm shelf above and below use up the height.
I think it is, but the microwave I want requires 450 mm. Is it just a matter of getting the smaller door to give the extra 30mm? Does it work like that?
Thanks for your help

Built in microwave often comes with a surround designed for 60cm wide unit and top and bottom are sorted with suitable sized infill panels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back