What would be a reaonable cost for this work?

...it's the length of the guarantee which is irrelevant.
I'm as happy for you to believe that, as I am for me to disbelieve it.

The cylinder has to be of "satisfactory quality" and "fit for purpose".
The Jag owner was not to be put off, so he took the dealer to court and produced expert witnesses from Jaguar who testified that their engines were designed to last at least 100k miles.

The dealer lost and had to pay all the owners costs etc etc.
That's fine for him, but it's merely one example of the many cases of success at court, to be borne in mind when considering the many cases of failure.

Please show me one single competent advocate who will provide an assurance of getting a cylinder replaced after two years of use.

Sponsored Links
If a manufacturer doesn't make any claim to the life span of a product, then once the warranty is out thats it. Who's to say how long it should last? where do you draw the line?

The man was covered because he had a warranty which extended beyond a few weeks
Wrong.

The dealer had to pay, not the manufacturer. They don't give a 100,000 mile warranty!
I never said Jaguar had to pay. Several manufacturers now give 100k warranties. They may not have done then.

If you want to read about it, it's in The Times Archive, 7th October 1974 Law Reports. The case ended up in the Court of Appeal.

I do have some facts wrong, but after 34 years I thinks that's excusable.

The car had done 82165 miles when purchased;
The dealer said the car was good for 100k;
The car died on the M3, three weeks after purchase after another 2354 miles.

To quote:

The dealer was held liable to the buyer for breach of the implied condition of fitness for Purpose under section 14(1) of the Sale of Goods Act, 1893, be cause at the time of the sale the car was not fit for the purpose of being driven on the road

gremlin16 wrote:
dcwuk

How much will a sparky normally charge for supplying and fitting an immersion heater ???????

£ 65 to £75 plus vat

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Try £125 plus parts.

Why you ask, because it may take all day if things go wrong.

Sparky charges a day rate whether its fixed in 1 hour or takes all day.

And you have the cheek to criticize heating engineers. :evil: :evil:

Sponsored Links
The dealer was held liable to the buyer for breach of the implied condition of fitness for Purpose under section 14(1) of the Sale of Goods Act, 1893, be cause at the time of the sale the car was not fit for the purpose of being driven on the road
Two observations about this:

1. The merchandise was a secondhand car, not a brand new cylinder.

2. Since the car "was not fit for the purpose of being driven on the road" at the time of the sale, then the question of warranty, or longevity, doesn't even arise.

For both of these reasons, your example of the Jaguar holds no relevance to the topic under discussion, that being the definition of a reasonable expectation for the life of a new copper cylinder.

gremlin16 wrote:
dcwuk

How much will a sparky normally charge for supplying and fitting an immersion heater ???????

£ 65 to £75 plus vat

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Try £125 plus parts.

Why you ask, because it may take all day if things go wrong.

Sparky charges a day rate whether its fixed in 1 hour or takes all day.

And you have the cheek to criticize heating engineers. :evil: :evil:
You asked and I replied personally I do not base my charges on the expectation that things will go wrong.
Yes sometimes there are problems but 99% of the time the job gets done no problems and i am on my way :)

Yes sometimes there are problems but 99% of the time the job gets done no problems and i am on my way :)[/quote]

Thats because electric is predictable - water isn't.

What a great thread. Obviously dcwuk thought he'd nip over from the 'other side' of the forum and stir things up a bit. I might try that with the decorators later - ' What - £500.00 to decorate a room'

As stated above 2 years is very short i would be very unhappy if i was a customer if a cylinder lasted only 2 years. Wish they did though would be happy days all round :D
I repeat: How long do you think the guarantee is?

Telford offer a 10 year guarantee on their copper cylinders.

The man was covered because he had a warranty which extended beyond a few weeks
Wrong.

The dealer had to pay, not the manufacturer. They don't give a 100,000 mile warranty!
I never said Jaguar had to pay.

I know, I can read. You were the one who raised Jaguar and what they said, claiming it was important. Can you follow your own argument from one post to another? Apparently not.
Now you're quoting what other manufacturers say. Oh dear. Stick to the day job!

-------

To quote:

The dealer was held liable to the buyer for breach of the implied condition of fitness for Purpose under section 14(1) of the Sale of Goods Act, 1893, be cause at the time of the sale the car was not fit for the purpose of being driven on the road[/quote]

WHich is nothing to do with any point you're trying to make. It would depend why the car failed. If a tyre blew out and the car rolled the dealer wouldn't have to pay for a replacement. This sort of thing isn't black and white; it depends on reasonableness, due care, negligence and more.

If a cylinder was unfit at the time of sale, fine, but after 2+ years nobody would be able to say for certain why it failed, without unreasonable analysis. All sorts of things could have happened to it. If it could be returned after several years there wouldn't be a need for a guarantee.

---
I do have some facts wrong,
Yes. And more besides.
but after 34 years I thinks that's excusable.
I don't give a toss whether you think it's excusable. You're wrong in your facts and analysis of both the cylinder and the Jaguar situations and it would be better if you shut up and stopped misleading people.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back