What would you have done?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went shopping earlier and one of the things I wanted was fruit loaf.

When I found it on the shelf there was just one left sitting there.

Nothing wrong with it and it was the type I wanted - but I didn't buy it.

Why? Because they had a BOGOF offer on and buying just one would have left me feeling cheated.

The fact that there was one on the shelf at all suggests that others felt just the same as me.

But it's odd that I had set out fully intending to buy it at full price.

Would you have bought it?

Sponsored Links
if i wanted it and i was that bothered id have gone to customer services asked if they had another and if not ask for it at half price.

depends how much you want your malt loaf with your horlicks! :LOL:

It is strange. BOGOFs are set up in the main to tempt impulse purchases - Something you wouldn't normally buy. I would have probably bought it if it was something I actually set out to buy.

Out of interest, joe, go in first thing (about 9am) when their bread delivery has just been, and see if there's some more. There's usually no excuse for not ordering heaps, because the bakeries offer sale or return on promotional items - if they order too much and it dont sell, they send it back.

"A woman will buy something she doesn't need if it's half-price.
A man will buy something he does need even if it's double price"

Which are you?

Sponsored Links
Bear in mind that the supermarkets don't pay for the BOGOF's, the suppliers do.

JohnD said:
"A woman will buy something she doesn't want if it's half-price.
A man will buy something he does want even if it's double price"

What are you?

catchy sexist phrase isnt it? :(

but it seems true ;)

i would have bought it....taken it to the front and asked where's my free one? doesnt hurt to ask. here they have a lot of sales geared toward big families....i always ask for the smaller quantities at the sale price and have always gotten them.

At least some supermarkets will give a voucher for another one free for when they come back in stock.
Might have been overpriced in the first place. Viennettas are £2.25 in the Co-op, bogof, but only £1.25 in Tescos!

I would have bought it (miserable Scotsmen),
But a miserable Englishmen would not have bought it.

I'd asked an allready busy employee to go and see if they have anymore in stock and if they wasn't any more I'd leave it. Even though I wanted the item to start with I'd be left feeling like I've lost out.

gentoo said:
I'd asked an allready busy employee to go and see if they have anymore in stock.
'tis true, employees in many small to medium stores are often very busy. However, when it comes to bread and fresh food, it is unlikely that they will have any "in the back". They only order enough to fill the shelf each day - the store's planograms are often designed so they can fit the whole day's bread on the shelf. (it doesn't always work :LOL: )

I'm sure it was a shocking blow to the supermarket that, I expect their behaviour will change forthwith ;)

Really, they couldn't give a monkeys about your little protest, the only person it hurt was yourself.

I always habe trouble with things like 'Buy one pack of Pringles, Get one free'. Can you mix and match flavours ? Invariably yes, but it doesn't stop me being anxious all the way to the checkout....

Sponsored Links
Back