What's the point of hazard lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it OK to park on double yellow lines if you have matching hazard lights flashing away? It seems many people think so.

I can't really see the point of them, if a driver is parked in such a position that they cause a hazard, then putting on flashing yellow lights will not change that, it just confirms that the driver knows they're causing a hazard, so move the bloody thing :evil:
Equally if they're not causing a hazard they don't need to use lights.

Maybe the switch should be put under the bonnet or in the boot so it's only used by those who have a genuine need.

My mate said he "couldn't belieeeve how stupid some people could be".

Sponsored Links
Hazard lights are just more noticeable. Sometimes a stationery car can seem to be moving when your hypnotised by the drudgery of driving. The flashing warns you something ain't right.

was very upset , slid on to the hard shouder ,
I had the 7series no an the women just shrugged it of , of course two kids in car ,

that had my nephews crying an wailing ....... an not film , ;)

I thought they were for indecisive people who don't know which way to turn. :p

Sponsored Links
Lets you know that the car has stopped or stopping as against in a queue.
Now they are being used as 'A Thank You', when you have let a car out.

makes no sence as a thank you unless its a van with no rear window/cant see out of it to say thanks...

notb665 said:
Hazard lights are just more noticeable. Sometimes a stationery car can seem to be moving when your hypnotised by the drudgery of driving. The flashing warns you something ain't right.

spell it with an A not E dont people on here use spell check or read their posts before submitting them :?: :mad: :confused: :LOL:

poshman said:
notb665 said:

spell it with an A not E dont people on here use spell check or read their posts before submitting them :?: :mad: :confused: :LOL:

It could be a stationery car i.e. full of envelopes!!

Well, you are now allowed to use them to indicate an imminent brown-trousers stop on the motorway.

As far as I know, the only situation where you are allowed to use them whilst moving. And quite a recent change to the highway code to allow it. Couldn't really do it with the switch under the bonnet (although aren't they turned on automatically with "emergency brake assist" systems?)

Does anyone remember a few years ago, drivers in the US started driving with their hazard lights on to indicate they were making a call :LOL:

poshman said:
notb665 said:

I didn't spell it wrong, I used the wrong word. :oops:

nstreet said:
I thought they were for indecisive people who don't know which way to turn. :p

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.

Sponsored Links
Back