wheel barely spins, Droning noise, hot caliper , what is the problem here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the driveshaft bearing needs replacing I think I will replace the entire drive shaft I have seen them new for £60 on ebay, I assume they come complete with the seals ?

thanks
No, they’ll never come with the seals.

Sponsored Links
No, they’ll never come with the seals.

Thank you for the useful information.

I think I will go ahead and change them anyway just because of the fact the driveshaft is off anyway and the car is basically at 200 k miles, they may look okay now but could begin leaking anytime.

I assume access to the drive shaft seals is completely accesible upon removal of the driveshaft ? thanks

Am I the only one who thinks this thread is a wind up?

Andy

sorry, is what a wind up ? I am only inquiring about the information I recieived from the garage today , do you think they are winding me up ?

Lancashire

Sponsored Links
Am I the only one who thinks this thread is a wind up?

Andy

I'm thinking it is, we've gone from a burning hot wheel and sticky caliper, to loads of play in the wheel bearing, to a drive shaft bearing, and now the insistence on replacing gearbox seals even though the advice is against it.

Each fault has its own set of symptoms different from each other.

Whole thread is a waste of time

Each fault has a

I'm thinking it is, we've gone from a burning hot wheel and sticky caliper, to loads of play in the wheel bearing, to a drive shaft bearing, and now the insistence on replacing gearbox seals even though the advice is against it.

Each fault has its own set of symptoms different from each other.

Whole thread is a waste of time

Each fault has a
Oh I am really sorry, I didn't mean to upset anyone by asking questions. I am asking a few extra questions so as I don't need to clog up the forums with multiple different threads.

Whilst here, may I ask....

On the throttle body, I replaced it as the old one was leaking oil, ( the box on the throttle body itself ) but inside the throttle body where the flap is there was no oil, its leaking form the box bit where the metal clips are, and the replacement is doing the same, any idea why ?
screenshot_2020-05-28-photo-editor-pixlr-com-free-image-editing-online-1-png.92256

thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-05-28 Photo Editor Pixlr com - free image editing online(1).png
    Screenshot_2020-05-28 Photo Editor Pixlr com - free image editing online(1).png
    627.7 KB · Views: 61
There’s no oil in the throttle body. What you are getting is oil mist collecting and turning back into liquid oil. Very common on turbo diesel cars and more common on those that have done 200,000 miles!

There’s no oil in the throttle body. What you are getting is oil mist collecting and turning back into liquid oil. Very common on turbo diesel cars and more common on those that have done 200,000 miles!

Hey mottie

The oil is thick and quite a lot of it, I think it is more than just a misting of oil. It feels the same as it would if you put your finger in a bottle of engine oil.
What is the solution then ? I know the car is high mileage but it is not normal for oil to be leaking out of it and covering everything below, the low oil pressure light came on and I had to top it up.

It is an oil leak and I needd to know why it is doing it and how to go about fixinig it before the oil get low enough that it destroys the engine and to stop the oil dripping onto other parts.

Just keep it topped up with oil. That’s about all you can do for a car of that age and worth.

Just keep it topped up with oil. That’s about all you can do for a car of that age and worth.

Hi Mottie
so are you suggesting top up the oil every week and spray down the engine every week to clean everything it's ocvering with oil ? Is there no actual fix to stop the oil leak ?

There is a fix but it won’t be cheap. New engine or new car.

Oh My God.

Hold on a minute, please. You are saying the only way to stop this oil leak is to replace the engine ? Can you tell me what exactly is causing it as it has to be something and whatever it is can surely be replaced without the entire engine having to be swapped out ? It is just a leak form the box on the throttle body, a replacement engine to resolve this seems very excessive ?

There is no oil in the throttle body. It’s not a leak either. It’s coming from either piston blow by or worn turbocharger. Change those to be sure of curing the leak or spend a couple of quid a month on oil.

There is no oil in the throttle body. It’s not a leak either. It’s coming from either piston blow by or worn turbocharger. Change those to be sure of curing the leak or spend a couple of quid a month on oil.

This is so upsetting, As far as I thought it meant maybe just changing the theottle body again as I thoguht maybe the throttle body was the cause and it was perhaps faulty, is this not the case ?

if it is the turbo then ok, not good but not disasterous either, I'd get ti changed out with a reconditioned unit but if piston blow by I guess that will be my excuse for a new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back