wheel barely spins, Droning noise, hot caliper , what is the problem here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Mottie says, its the oil fumes passing through the throttle body that's causing this problem, not the throttle itself.
The vast majority of the fume comes from the turbocharger which doesn't generally last as long as the engine itself.
John :)

Sponsored Links
JUST. KEEP. THE. OIL. TOPPED. UP.

hey mottie
I will do that, but that is not a solution to the problem is it . I had a little conversatino with a garage today and although he didn't inspect the car he told me it could be the turbo as the car is at almost 200,000 miles. Just going to keep a check on it for now

Sponsored Links
As Mottie says, its the oil fumes passing through the throttle body that's causing this problem, not the throttle itself.
The vast majority of the fume comes from the turbocharger which doesn't generally last as long as the engine itself.

it is not just a msiting of oil, it is thick fresh oil like as it is right out of the bottle , it is not inside the throttle body but on the outside of it as shown ni the picture on previous page.

do you think it is the turbo failing ?

Its oil fumes that condense back to liquid, nothing to worry about.
If the turbo is about to fail look for smoke at the exhaust.
Keep the oil level topped up to the maximum and see how much the engine is using.

Its oil fumes that condense back to liquid, nothing to worry about.
If the turbo is about to fail look for smoke at the exhaust.
Keep the oil level topped up to the maximum and see how much the engine is using.

it is leaking engine oil though from the throttle body, it is thick oil and it is dripping ont other compnoents. it is something to worry about because it set off the low oik pressure light the other day i had to top it up, there was a lot of oil coming from the throttle body and on the engine

Sounds like you’re flogging a dead horse there. Time to get rid of it I think.

Hey mottie

One minute you guy's are telling me it's an oil leak that's nothing to worry about and completely normal ( although it has al ot of oil underneath it you say its nothng t worry about ? )
now you say that ??

this is why im confused

It's a high mileage engine which is showing its age by starting to burn oil.
The oil leak is nothing, but you must keep the level topped up to compensate.
At this mileage it makes no sense to throw money at it.

It's a high mileage engine which is showing its age by starting to burn oil.
The oil leak is nothing, but you must keep the level topped up to compensate.
At this mileage it makes no sense to throw money at it.

Hey John, it is not burning oil !! it is visibly leaking oil very thick oil not a misiting of oil but actual black thick oil leaking covering bottom of throttle body and dripping down the engine, that is something to worry about because it is not normal to have a component underside covered in oil and dripping down the engine !! it is a actual visible leak not oil burning

Hey mottie

One minute you guy's are telling me it's an oil leak that's nothing to worry about and completely normal ( although it has al ot of oil underneath it you say its nothng t worry about ? )
now you say that ??

this is why im confused
If you want to cure the 'leak' it will cost more than the car is worth. If you want to keep on running it, just spend a little more on oil. You decide.

If you want to cure the 'leak' it will cost more than the car is worth. If you want to keep on running it, just spend a little more on oil. You decide.

Hey Mottie.
If it needs a turbo I am prepared to do it myself ( hopefully with rhe backing and help and support from you good guys ). On the 1.9 cdti 150bhp it seems much easier as turbo is at front of engine, however on these 120 bhp models it si more difficult from what I understand.

I saw a brand new turbo on ebay for £180, after that listing I see other turbos brand new for £240 + ( and reconditioned for about £200 on basis you send in current turbo fro them as exchange deal )

Even if I didnt fit it I would be looking at about £150 labour so about £350 - £400 total cost inc part and labour or fitting it mself about £200 total cost

thoughts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back