wheel barely spins, Droning noise, hot caliper , what is the problem here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've no experience using those bolt removers I'm afraid, so no comments on that one. I would prefer to hammer on a socket slightly smaller size than the rounded off bolt - sometimes a metric head can be gripped by an imperial socket, next size down.

With both road wheel up in the air, all you are doing is spinning the differential so you can't expect things to be really free - but one side may feel more free than the other.

The same applies with the strut really - it is at it's slackest here and the road spring well relaxed you may expect some movement, with the car completely jacked up.

John :)

Sponsored Links
I've no experience using those bolt removers I'm afraid, so no comments on that one. I would prefer to hammer on a socket slightly smaller size than the rounded off bolt - sometimes a metric head can be gripped by an imperial socket, next size down.

With both road wheel up in the air, all you are doing is spinning the differential so you can't expect things to be really free - but one side may feel more free than the other.

The same applies with the strut really - it is at it's slackest here and the road spring well relaxed you may expect some movement, with the car completely jacked up.

Hi

I took it to kwik fit today, he said he found nothing wrong but said the carrier bearing o the driveshaft was need replacing, and that was also causing the droning noise ?
he says the bearings can;t be replaced although google shows the bearings available

what do you think of the advice from him ?

They can be replaced if you know what you’re doing. It will mean removing the joint from one end, drifting it off with a chisel and knocking the new one back on with a tube. Why not buy a complete secondhand driveshaft and fit that on?

They can be replaced if you know what you’re doing. It will mean removing the joint from one end, drifting it off with a chisel and knocking the new one back on with a tube. Why not buy a complete secondhand driveshaft and fit that on?

Hey Mottie, I always appreciete and look forward to your response ( and I appreciete you giving me another chance after all the times I dismissed your advice on the drive belt topic )

The guy who was in kwik fit said the bearing on the drive shaft was in need of replacement and likely the cause of the droning sound. I usualloy like ot get a second opinion before going right ahead and getting the work done as on previous experience I've had mechanics mis diagnose work that didn't need doing.
A quick look at google reveals some people saying drive shaft bearings do not typically emit a droning noise, others say yes it can. I din't know if the droning is related to the drive shaft bearing but according to he guy at kwik fit it needs changing nad also he says they do not fit them, sop I know he wasn't lying to get the work, but maybe he could have misdiagnosed it ?

Yes I think you are right and if it comes to it I may just replace the driveshaft instead of trying to fit a new bearing onto the current one and save all the extra work.

He said he could not feel play in the wheel, and it is rather unusual as sometimes I feel play in sideways movement but othe times I don't, als0 the wheel sometimes free spins and sometimes it doesn't ?? it seems intermittent.

thank you !

Sponsored Links
They do drone when they are knackered. If you remove the drive shaft and spin the support bearing, you’ll soon know if it’s buggered.

They do drone when they are knackered. If you remove the drive shaft and spin the support bearing, you’ll soon know if it’s buggered.

Hi
So if it can only be determined whether the drive shaft bearing is bad if it is removed from the car how could the guy at the garage say it is not any good and needs replacing, he didn't remove it he had the car on the ramp for about 10 minutes ?
This is why I would like a second garage to check for me before I change anything out instead of just taking his word for it .

thanks

Perhaps with it on a ramp with the wheels off the ground and with someone inside driving it, he heard/felt the roughness in the bearing. I wouldn’t advise you trying it on the floor unless the vehicle is really secure on stands. You'd also need someone inside driving it.

Perhaps with it on a ramp with the wheels off the ground and with someone inside driving it, he heard/felt the roughness in the bearing. I wouldn’t advise you trying it on the floor unless the vehicle is really secure on stands. You'd also need someone inside driving it.

Ah ok, so will that be quite an easy way to diagnose the driveshaft bearing ? what would you suggest following on form hs diagnosis, take his word for it and get it changed or seek a second opinion beforehand ?

Is ti wortrh changing the drive shaft oil seals while the driveshaft is off the car ?
thanks as always

Always worth a second opinion. I wouldn’t change the seals if they weren’t leaking.

Always worth a second opinion. I wouldn’t change the seals if they weren’t leaking.

I agree, I will try getting a different garage to check that out for me before I go ahead with the replacement.

About the drive shaft seals, with the car now at basically 200 k miles and as the drive shaft will be out already ( if it is confirmed it needs doing ) I just thoguht it would make sense to change the drive shaft seals, I assumed there would be no further work to do them as the ds is off ?

I still wouldn’t touch them if not leaking. You could end up spending money and ****ing things up. I had a very slight leak on my Evoque rear axle. As it was under warranty I took it to a main dealer to be replaced - not because I couldn’t do it myself but every time it goes in the main dealer you get a loan car - usually something nice and big (I got a Discovery 5) plus my car gets a full valet for free. I ended up with a bigger leak and it had to go back again!

Last edited:
I still wouldn’t touch them if not leaking.

Hi
I understand you are very knowledgable and I am not qestioning that, but I am intrigued as to why you seem so against replacing the drive shaft seals, is it mouch extra work once the drive shaft is out, are there any risks of damaging something if I mess around that area ?

thanks

There’s always a chance of something going wrong. If it aint broke, don’t fix it!

There’s always a chance of something going wrong. If it aint broke, don’t fix it!

If the driveshaft bearing needs replacing I think I will replace the entire drive shaft I have seen them new for £60 on ebay, I assume they come complete with the seals ?

thanks

Hi, thanks for that info

I noticed the wheel does still lock up but only sometimes, this happens both in neutral and in gear, yet the other side spins freely, when I took it to kwik fit today they said it was fine but it must have been spinning freely when they checked it , it is intemrittent or at least ti seems that way. also the side - side wheel movement seems intermitttent also, not always there but other times it is ??

Ito kwik fit today, he said he found nothing wrong but said the carrier bearing o the driveshaft was need replacing, and that was also causing the droning noise ?
he says the bearings can;t be replaced although google shows the bearings available

what do you think of the advice from him ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back