When did earth sleeving become the norm?

Sponsored Links
I have this nice. clean white on a breaker, but of course it's our neutral.......

dscn3833-jpg.91560

Interesting that Wylex RCBOs appear to have a white earth wire, should that be sleeved with green/yellow inside the consumer unit?
That's a functional earth, not a protective conductor. If it was, it would have to be able to carry fault current.
Indeed. In the presence of an appropriate fault, it obviously could end up carrying the consequent fault current - but, as you say, since it is not there as a CPC, it is not required "to be able to carry" that current (i.e. it is 'allowed' to melt!).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Don't think I've ever seen a cream FE (new, not aged)

Chint do a FE in G/Y apparently.....:notworthy:

0002784_NB3LEU_300.jpeg

The basic standard for identification of conductors, IEC 60445:2010, doesn't specify or recommend, a colour for functional earthing or bonding conductors.

Seen loads of cream FE's on telecoms systems...

PBC. Are those breakers current stock?

They look similar to our previous gen breakers going back as far as the mid sixties.

In one of my IEC committees we discussed the possibility of specifying a colour for FE/FB conductors, but couldn't agree - in some countries, white is specified, in others cream, but the list of available colours (IEC 60757 IIRC) doesn't define 'cream'. Should we use Tesco single cream, or organic Devon clotted cream? Nearly white, or nearly yellow?

This house was wired in 1980 and there wasn't any sleeving to be seen any where, all the earth wires were bare. I have sleeved them when I have changed sockets etc. At least the lighting circuit is earthed though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back