Where Did I Go This Weekend?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will post a few cryptic photographic clues. First off:

DSC00420.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Is it Manchester? They say that's a complete hole.

Derbyshire / Peak district?

Correct! To be precise:

DSC00443.jpg

I thought the first piccy was quite a nice contrast between the layers of tarmac on the broken Mam Tor road and the layers of natural stone on the "cliff" behind it.

I'm pretty sure I walked that area years ago - theres a big resevoir with large dams somewhere quite close iirc.

The road is amazing. In places, huge chunks have fallen away & in others, the road has dropped so you get huge "steps".

The land has been slipping gradually for the last 3000 years. They built the road, then it needed major surgery in 1966. More work was done until the last efforts in 1977 when the road was made a single track route. It was finally closed in 1979, which was when I last saw it.

We also went to peak cavern. Someone with a sense of humour wrote this sign:

DSC00428.jpg

It actually says: "COME UP AND SEE THE DEVIL'S @RSE"

But if you have a dirty mind like me, you tend to skip the words "AND SEE"...

There is an underground river running through the cavern.

Where it exits it was VERY busy!The water was a scant foot off the top of the bridge's arch...

Watch this (short) vid:

The area is fantastic for us with 3 young boys keen to get out and about, with caves and all sorts to explore:

DSC00445.jpg

We found the beginnings of a stalagmite in the back of this cave!

The only thing that saddened me was on the short walk back to the car from this cave, I picked up 3 glass beer bottles, two plastic bottles & a plastic tub.

Why do people do this?

Sponsored Links
Back