White privilege at its best

can you explain why you think it is rubbish ?

The source is the Gaudian (home of the wokes) and the figures in wikipedia can easily be found elsewhere.

the rest is just understanding numbers.
I've proved your understanding of what is reported is misinterpreted. That's why it's rubbish.
If you are a criminal then you are more likely to be shot by the police if you are white than black.
Did you selectively quote 2016 figures, or did you massage the stats?
View attachment 253187
From your source
If you add the black, native American, Asian and Hispanic figures together the numbers look astronomically stacked against non-white people.

Young black men were nine times more likely than other Americans to be killed by police officers in 2015, according to the findings of a Guardian study that recorded a final tally of 1,134 deaths at the hands of law enforcement officers this year.
Their rate of police-involved deaths was five times higher than for white men of the same age.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/31/the-counted-police-killings-2015-young-black-men
On the basis of this evidence the rest of your comments can be dismissed as fake propaganda, fuelled by prejudice.
upload_2021-12-6_11-10-46.png

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/31/the-counted-police-killings-2015-young-black-men

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
the problem is poverty not race

try doing the comparison of poverty and crime
Absolutely, the problem is poverty - and there is no doubt that historical racism will be a big factor of poverty within black communities. But I seriously doubt racism in the police exists now, here or in the US (obviously rare cases will exist, but by and large it has thankfully been stamped out). I doubt racism really exists in society either, although 'positive discrimination' in sport the media, arts, acting could well be discriminatory against white people now.

I've proved your understanding of what is reported is misinterpreted. That's why it's rubbish.

View attachment 253249
Comparing against the population as a whole is misleading, you have to look at who the police are coming into contact with. If we use the prison populations as a guide to who the US police are arresting then the numbers are fairly equal yet whites are getting shot more often.

If you are a criminal then you are more likely to be shot by the police if you are white than black.

if we take a look at how many people the police kill in the USA
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...un/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database
I have used the 2016 figures that show the police killed 266 black and 574 white so the police are killing 2.16x more whites.

Now what we need to know is who is coming into contact with the police. And to do this I will take a look at the prison population as a guide, where 34% is Black and 29% white
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incar... the U.S. Bureau,18% of the female population.
so can we assume black people are coming into contact with the police for serious crime 17% more often than whites?

so there we have it, black people are coming into more contact with the police and yet the police are killing twice as many whites?

That's utter junk.

What is the demogrpahics of blacks to white?

12.7% are Black and 73% are white.

Total population 320m.

So Blacks are killed at a rate of 0.65 per 100k of blacks

Whites are killed at a rate of 0.25 per 100k of whites.

The prison population is a poor metric to decide who is coming into contact with the police it is more a function of the courts system.

So take your bigotry elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
Absolutely, the problem is poverty - and there is no doubt that historical racism will be a big factor of poverty within black communities. But I seriously doubt racism in the police exists now, here or in the US (obviously rare cases will exist, but by and large it has thankfully been stamped out). I doubt racism really exists in society either, although 'positive discrimination' in sport the media, arts, acting could well be discriminatory against white people now.

You have evidence for that or just another lie?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01846-z

About 1,000 civilians are killed each year by law-enforcement officers in the United States. By one estimate, Black men are 2.5 times more likely than white men to be killed by police during their lifetime1. And in another study, Black people who were fatally shot by police seemed to be twice as likely as white people to be unarmed2.

Based on information from more than two million 911 calls in two US cities, he concluded that white officers dispatched to Black neighbourhoods fired their guns five times as often as Black officers dispatched for similar calls to the same neighbourhoods4

Comparing against the population as a whole is misleading, you have to look at who the police are coming into contact with.
Nonsense, it's a recognised fact that the police choose with whom they interact. If they are biased (and they obviously are) they will choose to interact more with the non-white population, and in a more disrespectful and aggressive way. That is an historical and ingrained culture.
You cannot make assumptions based on statistics formed by racist attitudes, and assume they are not influenced by inequality.

If we use the prison populations as a guide to who the US police are arresting then the numbers are fairly equal yet whites are getting shot more often.
The justice system is also recognised to be racist. So it's a false premise on which to base any assumptions.

... - and there is no doubt that historical racism will be a big factor of poverty within black communities. But I seriously doubt racism in the police exists now, here or in the US (obviously rare cases will exist, but by and large it has thankfully been stamped out). I doubt racism really exists in society either, ..
:ROFLMAO:
You think a couple of reports will wave a magic wand and remove centuries of ingrained prejudice.

Some one robbing a bank in the USA is more likely to get shot than some one who is not

and no I don’t have a link :cool:

Come on, you can't genuinely believe that?

can you explain why you think it is rubbish ?
The source is the Gaudian (home of the wokes) and the figures in wikipedia can easily be found elsewhere.

the rest is just understanding numbers.
Let's have a look at this in a bit more detail, shall we?

If we take a look at how many people the police kill in the USA
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...un/01/the-counted-police-killings-us-database
I have used the 2016 figures that show the police killed 266 black and 574 white so the police are killing 2.16x more whites.
According to the 2020 United States Census, 61.6% of the population are white and 12.4% black.
So if we look at the figures per 1m inhabitants it's 2.81 for whites and 6.47 for blacks - therefore blacks are 2.3 times more likely to be killed by a police officer than whites.

Now what we need to know is who is coming into contact with the police. And to do this I will take a look at the prison population as a guide, where 34% is Black and 29% white
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incar... the U.S. Bureau,18% of the female population.
so can we assume black people are coming into contact with the police for serious crime 17% more often than whites?
No, as there is a considerably smaller total black population, so the figure above would imply that actually black people are many times more likely to be in prison per million inhabitants.
But, of course, it could also be that the figures are skewed by the fact that black people are much more likely to be arrested, charged, sent to trial, and ultimately convicted of the same or similar crimes?

so there we have it, black people are likely to be coming into slightly more contact with the police and yet the police are killing twice as many whites? From that basis may be the police are more than twice as likely to kill someone white.
I am more than happy to accept the argument that systemic racism in the US is likely to cause more crime within that community, (being poor always leads to more crime). But I am not convinced that black people are being treated more brutally by the police than whites?
I think there is an element of both. I don't think it's helpful to imply that every death of a black person at the hands of a police officer comes down to police brutality and systemic racism within the American police force. There are many cases of deaths of white people in similar circumstances to that of George Floyd (look up Tony Timpa as a very good example).
I think we need to recognise that American police kill both black and white civilians during an arrest, and often when in no danger themselves (by the way, past convictions are not relevant as we don't live in a Judge Dredd society where the police are judge, jury, and executioner).
If BLM could recognise that the issue is not limited to black people it may go some way to bringing more white people on side with their cause (which, in principle, is a worthy one).

So maybe there are multiple issues here, only one of which may be systemic racism within the American police force.

• Crime is generally higher in black areas
  • Black people are more likely to live in poverty due to a long history of slavery, segregation and discrimination
  • Poverty can also lead to a host of issues such as kids being brought up in single parent households, alcohol & drug problems, low attainment at school, lack of opportunity, gangs etc etc
  • There is a strong correlation between poverty and crime levels
  • Black people may be more likely to be arrested, charged, and convicted of the same crime than white people (after being charged this is no longer the responsibility of the police, but of the judicial system)
  • There may be issues with systemic racism within the American police that skews arrest figures and officer / black civilian shootings
  • A higher police presence in poverty stricken black areas may lead to higher numbers of arrests for crimes that would go unnoticed in white areas
  • There is a problem with training in the American police where they aren't sufficiently trained to de-escalate threatening situations (with people of all races)
  • There is insufficient firearms training (British firearms police get much better training than American cops despite the much lower chance of ever using a gun)
  • There is a fear of being shot that leads to the use of lethal force where it may not have been necessary (this leads to the deeper issue of gun rights and laws in the USA)
I don't know the answer, but in order to find it, we would need to drill down deeper into the statistics and control for a number or factors to determine whether more black people are being killed due to systemic racism or not.

The fact remains though that per head of population, more blacks than whites are being killed by the police, and therefore it's understandable that many would like to see this change.

Ideally, there would be no deaths of any race at the hands of police, but maybe simply aiming to get closer to zero is a commendable (if optimistic) target??

Last edited:
Some one driving a stolen car is more likely to get shot than some who is not

infact I will go so far as to say that
Any one engaged in criminal activity in the USA is more likely to get shot than some one who is not

no I don’t have a link and I never googled it either :cool:

Some one robbing a bank in the USA is more likely to get shot than some one who is not

and no I don’t have a link :cool:
You might have stumbled across a relevant comment. Most unusual for you.
But if we think about the most likely type of person to need to rob banks? Those suffering from poverty? Right?
And if those suffering from poverty are most likely to be non-white? See where I'm going with this?

And yes, I do have a link:
The data also reveal that poverty rates remain disproportionately high for children of color. Nationwide, Black (28%), American Indian (25%) and Latino (23%) kids are more likely to grow up poor when compared to their non-Hispanic white (10%) and Asian and Pacific Islander (9%) peers.
https://www.aecf.org/blog/new-child...aAAdlGtmdkwDIT5wgnyXZXj4S_6BImShoCGb8QAvD_BwE

If BLM could recognise that the issue is not limited to black people it may go some way to bringing more white people on side with their cause (which, in principle, is a worthy one).
An excellent post RonnyRaygun. Most of which I would not disagree with.
There is only one comment I wold address.
The BLM message was never 'Only' Black Lives Matter. That was a narrative engendered by opponents of the movement.
The real message was Black Lives Matter 'also', or 'as much as', etc.
The suggestion that BLM have alienated others is the narrative created by their opponents.

An excellent post RonnyRaygun. Most of which I would not disagree with.
There is only one comment I wold address.
The BLM message was never 'Only' Black Lives Matter. That was a narrative engendered by opponents of the movement.
The real message was Black Lives Matter 'also', or 'as much as', etc.
The suggestion that BLM have alienated others is the narrative created by their opponents.
Completely agree. And I can't stand the "All Lives Matter" brigade, who seem to care about everyone, until the point that a black person gets shot. Then it's, "if they'd complied they'd be fine now", or "shouldn't commit crimes then", or "he's got a string of convictions as long as your arm, that means he deserved it."

I guess my point was that, as with most things, both sides can have reasonable points, and recognising that can lead to positive changes. And, in a discussion about George Floyd being killed at the hands of supposedly racist cops (I'm not arguing either way - all I know is that a man died when he should simply have been arrested), it's not unreasonable to bring up the case of the white Tony Timpa who was killed in very similar circumstances by white police officers.
The problem is that most people who bring up Tony Timpa in a debate about systemic racism are using it to argue that there is no systemic racism in the American police force. It obviously proves no such thing.

I don't think BLM have alienated others, but I do think certain people have chosen to believe they're anti-white, and maybe (although possibly I'm being a bit naive) more dialogue would help to change that view (although who do you actually get in the room?) Maybe they've tried, I don't know...

I even saw a meme on Facebook that compared BLM to the KKK. After I had a bit of a to & fro with the person who posted it and gave her a few home truths, she defriended me (not a bad thing...)

Sponsored Links
Back