why is there no earth terminal ashley j803

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ashley-J8...trical_Fittings_MJ&hash=item3a7a3579e5&_uhb=1
I am new to these junction boxes. My electrician friend told me to use these but he's too busy to show me and didn't have one to hand anyway.

why is there no earth terminal ? How many wires can you fit in each hole?

It should be ok to buy from ebay right? Does anyone know where I can buy without having a trade account? Am a diy'er you see! preferably a shop within Manchester area.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ashley-J803-17th-Edition-Maintenance-Free-3-Terminal-Junction-Box-For-Power-32A-/251158428133?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Electrical_Fittings_MJ&hash=item3a7a3579e5&_uhb=1
I am new to these junction boxes. My electrician friend told me to use these but he's too busy to show me and didn't have one to hand anyway.
There are three sets of terminals - one set for Line/Live, one set for Neutral and one set for earth/CPC. Each set has 4 'holes' (2 on each side) each of which can take one conductor - so you can use these boxes to join up to 4 T+E cables. The bare earth/CPC conductors should, of course, be sleeved with green/yellow sleeving within the box. There is a corresponding one with 4 sets of terminals, designed primarily for lighting circuits (lower current rating, if I recall, although I don't understand why - terminals look identical!).

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards, John

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ashley-J803-17th-Edition-Maintenance-Free-3-Terminal-Junction-Box-For-Power-32A-/251158428133?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Electrical_Fittings_MJ&hash=item3a7a3579e5&_uhb=1

It should be ok to buy from ebay right? Does anyone know where I can buy without having a trade account? Am a diy'er you see! preferably a shop within Manchester area.

If there's a TLC Direct in your area, go there. Their cash account prices are often very competetive with a CEF account price! But most places will take a non tradesperson. Even screwfix sell most electrical items now.

...further to what I just wrote, this is what it should look like. The picture shows only 3 cables being joined, but there is room for a fourth:

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
ah thanks am just being thick! But I'd rather ask than get something seriously wrong

I thought they had Land N and the Earth symbol marked on the blocks

Their cash account prices are often very competetive with a CEF account price!
speechless.gif

I love these!!
I quite like them, too, (and use them a fair bit) but my psychology retains one bit of nervousness. With a screwed terminal, one is 'in control' of how well the connection is made, since one is solely responsible for tightening the screw. With spring contacts, one has to have complete faith in the product to produce a satisfactory connection. I'm sure that the design is sound, that testing has been extensive and that spring connections are less likely to deteriorate/fail than screwed ones - but what about the manufacture? I presume that these things are made in very large quantities by automated processes and I seriously doubt that the terminals of finished products are 100% tested - so one imagines that the occasional one that results in a less-than-ideal connection will get through and, in many cases, the user would not have a clue.

Kind Regards, John

Conversely, why are the terminals marked with L, N & E ?
Maybe to ensure that you'll sometimes have to twist some of the cables to get a neat wiring when using the terminals as labelled :) Seriously, though, it obviously is unusual (and not particularly helpful) to see terminals in a JB labelled, and one wonders why they did it.

Kind Regards, John

I love these also :)

sometimes used them for lighting where no ceiling rose is present for the switch loop.

for reference to original poster, 4 way ones are used for lighting mostly as the 4th terminal is to allow for the switch loop.

and 3 way ones, live, neutral, earth.. 3 connections for 3 wires!

so there is an earth terminal.

I love these also :) sometimes used them for lighting where no ceiling rose is present for the switch loop.
You might want to consider the J501, brother/sister of the J803/J804 for that application:
ASJ501X.JPG

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back