Width for double drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the bottom of my garden, I have a hard standing parking area which is currently the width of one and a 1/4 average cars. It is shielded from the road (a small, quiet cul de sac) by the most overengineered gates I have ever seen, which sag, lock from the inside and look horrendous. As a result, I never use the hard standing and park on the road instead.

I'm playing with fences at the moment (or at least, thinking about...) and I'm planning to open up the rear parking area to the road by removing the gates, and then installing a fence along the side of the parking area, to re-secure the back garden.

If I move the fence up towards the house a bit, this will widen the driveway, and this would be useful. It would also tidy up the fenceline a bit which over the years seems to have small "bits" installed, rather than full width panels.

My question is, what width should I look to achieve to get a double driveway- I know the easiest answer is to go as wide as I want, but is there an industry standard at which point a driveway can be considered to be a double?

Thanks.
CD

Sponsored Links
You could just base your calculations on a common car, e.g. the width of the current Ford Focus (which is quite a wide car anyway).

Rgds

Design recommendations for a a double bay are [minimum] 5m wide with 600mm between cars

There are no statutory or industry standards for parking bays

Sponsored Links
you need to draw the plot and work from there your gates only have to be wide enough to allow easy access if the gates are 20 ft in front off the cars you will probably get away with say 8ft gates
iff they are only 6 ft you may get away with 12ft gates

think off a turntable for railway locomotives or a triangle the nearer to the exit the parking is the greater the width needed as you cannot fully manoover into the tracks off the other vehicle in time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back