Wiring Ikea PS2014 Pendant Light with exisiting ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

New here and a novice with electrics but i have this light thats taking up space in my house so id like to put it up.

Ive attached images (see below) of my existing ceiling rose and also the terminal box i intend to wire up. Yes i will turn the fuse box switch to the off position and check the lights are definately off before carrying this out.

After some research ive got in my mind how to do this, but i wanted to check with some experts before i go ahead:- can i simply just snip the existing main wire roughly where my thumb is (image 1), strip the remainders ends to show the copper of both the brown and blue wires, then simply put in the corresponding holes in the little terminal box on the new fitting? L is brown and N is blue (image 2)?

Then ive already got it in my mind how to hang this on the hook (which i havent yet bought)

Would this be a safe way of doing this? Might be a very obvious question but i cant afford to be hasty when dealing with something like this.

Appreciate your answers in advance!

IMG_20210722_103518.jpg
IMG_20210722_104412.jpg
IMG_20210722_104415.jpg

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem, I used one of these
shopping
but not cheap, at around £25, but also
shopping
(PCR2000) and
shopping
which are £4.50 and £2.50 the whole idea is you wire on the ground then lift up and plug in, the back box
shopping
(AS MB2) for the cheaper versions makes them still further out of the ceiling.

Hi eric,

Thanks for the reply, im not sure what im looking at though. You see my knowledge in this is very limited but i have devised a way to keep the exisiting ceiling rose and have an idea on how to hang this light (i.e on the hook), i wanted to make this as simple as possible you see.

My question now is, would my way not work at all? Seems to me like i can use the existing wiring (image 1) and just use the cable where my thumb is to wire into the ikea box?

Would this work or not? I appreciate your answer but im afraid i may be a bit too inexperienced to use your method?

can i simply just snip the existing main wire roughly where my thumb is (image 1), strip the remainders ends to show the copper of both the brown and blue wires, then simply put in the corresponding holes in the little terminal box on the new fitting? L is brown and N is blue (image 2)?
Yes.

Sponsored Links
Brilliant, and thats safe, nothing can go wrong if done with care?

Im planning on shortening the cable on the ikea light as well and using the ceiling cup it came with so it should look pretty neat.

how heavy is the new light fitting? you might be able to just connect it the same as the old one by removing the connections from the ikea connection block and wiring it straight to the ceiling plate.

You cant remove it i dont think as the lights operation requires you pulling down on cords. So the terminal box it came with has a hole on it which you hang on a hook (not included when i bought it!!) and this is going to have to be strong as im heavy handed haha!

you misunderstand, do away with the bulbholder and cable that comes fixed to the rose ( I cant find the ceiling rose on its own) and wire your light fitting cable to the new ceiling rose

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back