Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to make-over my rather boring looking fully tiled bathroom walls on limited funds. I love the idea of a completely wooden clad room (see pic below) and was considering putting wooden boards over the tiles. I'd ideally like the wood to go on all the walls, including those around the bath which also has a shower above it, so the wood would definitely be exposed to splashed water on a daily basis. So my questions are as follows...

1. Could I clad the wood directly on top of the existing tiles or do I need to strip the tiles off first?

2. If I can attach the wooden boards directly onto the tiles what should I use to affix them? My (possibly misguided) logic is that the tiles are already waterproof so adding a pre-treated wooden layer fixed in place with a waterproof adhesive wouldn't risk any water damage to the walls themselves. But I'm completely new to this so am very happy to be advised otherwise.

3. Which wood is suitable? I ideally want to use real wood not an Aquaboard with a fake wooden style finish. I would consider Aquaboard with a real wood veneer, but as I said I'm on a pretty tight budget so I do need an economical solution.

4. Finally, what would I need to do to protect the wood as much as possible from the water? Would the wood need to be treated first or would a few thorough coats of a polyurethane varnish do the trick? If not is there some other product that would be better suited? I'd like to retain as much of the feel of the surface of the wood as possible so a matt finish would be preferable to a glossy one.

Any sensible advice would be very welcome. Thanks in advance.

d1b6c67e1ab2453875bb285d36b99d51--modern-traditional-traditional-bathroom.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Why is big-all's post any more helpful? I thought you had a tight budget! Besides I can't see anything not designed for getting soaked daily working long term. Something like Prodex cladding would be suitable but as mentioned for this to work you'll need to rob a bank!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back