Worcester 32cdi and hive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a greenstar 32cdi compact fitted years ago, after my old tank system failed. I had hive heating and hot water installed for the old system, as it would heat the water.

When I had my Worcester installed, I kept the hive heating, the fitter said it would just work with the thermostat and ignore the hot water bit.

Recently, my water bill has sky rocketed, as we've been at home more and I'm looking at ways to cut water usage, we have to run the tap in the kitchen (farthest from the boiler) for a fair time before it gets hot.

Looking at my boiler, it is in "eco" mode, I figured I'd compare the cost in extra gas usage by turning it off eco and seeing what it costs. The problem is, I can't.

When I push the Eco button, nothing happens, and if I push and hold eco, it displays eco and a clock, as if it was on a programmer. I assume this is because it "knows" it is rigged to a dual channel system? But even then, if I put the hot water to just "on" on hive, it still doesn't preheat the water, so I am left with a boiler than can only be on eco mode at all times.
Any ideas how to resolve?

Sponsored Links
Do you think that the hot water delivery is causing your increased water usage, or have you checked for dripping taps, running toilets etc?

No Leaks, and the delay to hot water, plus installation of newer taps is whats causing increase in water usage. Running hot water for 20 secs at 9/l per min several times a day is a lot of water to use before it gets hot.

I need to enable the preheat function on the boiler, I wondered how the boiler "knows" it has a timer attached (when it doesn't), and if its just because the wires are in place?

if you are using the CH at this time of year the HW pre heat wont make any difference, it just keeps the water within the boiler warm when heating isnt on

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
But my boiler won't let me use preheat mode. I have eco or eco with a clock picture.

Why can I not set preheat

bottom right hand corner "upload a file " add pic then press post
I’ve obtained this from the link (I know you don’t like/trust links ;))

Attachments

• 54CAB1B5-DCFB-4629-9BDD-FC16B62CC241.jpeg
    54CAB1B5-DCFB-4629-9BDD-FC16B62CC241.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 96
Press and hold eco button for 4 seconds, this should change display to read preheat

Press and hold eco button for 4 seconds, this should change display to read preheat

Hi, it doesn't do that, that is my original problem. If i press and hold, it shows "ECO" with a photo of a clock, then if i press and hold it again , it just says "ECO" without the clock.

Hmm, seems strange, manual (unless I have the wrong one) states at least 4 seconds, have you tried longer?

Attachments

• E9ED22F6-263F-4FF3-AD65-DBE20C7A3A91.jpeg
    E9ED22F6-263F-4FF3-AD65-DBE20C7A3A91.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 78
Hmm, seems strange, manual (unless I have the wrong one) states at least 4 seconds, have you tried longer?
Yes, so it only switches between eco or Eco + clock. I think it's because the plumber wired into my dual channel hive, but the HW function on the hive doesnt switch boiler to preheat mode.

There are two options available. When new, the Greenstar is supplied with a hard wired link between a permanent live and the preheat function allowing the ECO button to work as described. The installer has the option of removing the link and wiring it to the hot water channel of a two channel programmer instead. If this has been done, the ECO button will only work when the programmer (ie Hive HW) is set to be on (which simulates the hard wired link being present). I'm guessing it isn't 'on' and that's why the boiler display is letting you know that it's waiting for the programmer to turn it on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back