Worcester + Wave = constantly running pump ??

Hello again,

After chasing WB Technical advice for a response to my mail I've received the following earlier today :-

"Dear Paul

Thank you for your enquiry.

For us to be able to proceed with software alteration please can you supply us with the serial number and access code for the Wave unit, with this information we can liaise with our colleagues in Germany to process the software change to your unit."

I have responded back so I'll let you know how it goes. I can only hope I'll be put back onto 02.18.02 and the current issues will go away.

If people want to drop their email addresses on this forum I'll gladly forward on my mails and obviously Cc.. [email protected] so they know how many people they need to help. I will also be asking them to ensure my unit doesn't get updated again but suspect that won't be possible.

Cheers, Paul.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Still waiting on news from the Germans after I passed on my details last Wednesday. Yawn....

Cheers, Paul.

I have received an email today saying they want to send an engineer round free of charge. Bit difficult with work. I can't see why they can't just leave alone everything worked really good with software version 02.18.02

I had mail today saying the same thing. Told them to downgrade my software....last chance.

Next stop...Watchdog

Sponsored Links
Hello Paul,

Update after speaking to the Controls team at WB yesterday. It transpires that our issue is unique to specific boiler/control boards/Wave setups and doesn't affect the entire UK. The person I spoke to actually stated he was only aware of my issue and not dozens of others. I can buy into that so what they're going to do is downgrade my unit alone and then lock it down so I never receive updates again. This means I can carry on using the Wave as intended and don't have to do anything drastic myself like disconnecting it from my Wi-Fi after the downgrade.

WB are sending me a mail today asking for a reply stating I consent to the downgrade to take place plus accept that I won't receive any further updates. That email cannot come soon enough!!

I'll let you know when it has all taken place then I'd suggest you email [email protected] quoting issue for Mr Paul Sheard and they'll do the same for you.

Thanks, Paul.

And without any future updates how long are Worcester going to guarantee the units works for?

Cheers Paul let me know if it fixes the issue. To say they are only aware of you having an issue well they are also aware of me.

Last edited:
Answering Gasguru first - I didn't ask that question and to be frank, the application on my phone is garbage and doesn't connect half the time plus the history detail on usage is wildly inaccurate. If I have any other issues then I'm spending £100 on a Hive unit and binning the Wave like you said ages back.

Hello Paul - the fella in the WB Controls team (Adam) wouldn't divulge other peoples case details so perhaps someone else is dealing with your case. The fact is it doesn't affect the UK as a whole. I've had another mail since as follows:-

"We are able to push software 2.18.00 through to your Wave, this will be frozen on this software and will not upgrade again to any new updates. We cannot release 2.18.01/02 as these will automatically update back to the latest software. Please be advised that if you upgrade your boiler for a new DNA model 2000/4000/8000 appliance your wave may not be compatible with this software version. With the push back you will not be able to delete any of your energy usage, for this reason due to GDPR we will need an email replying to this to confirm you are happy with the push back to software 2.18.00."

...so I responded with :-

"1. When were software versions 02.18.00, 02.18.01 and 02.18.02 released and rolled out to customers? I want to know in relation to when my Wave was installed which was back in Spring 2015.

2. Why am I now being told 02.18.01 & 02 would update auto when Adam stated after I got version 02.18.02 I'd simply be removed from future updates?

3. Why does 02.18.00 not update auto but 02.18.01/02 would...makes zero sense?"

The saga continues...

Cheers

Sounds like a load of rubbish to me if they can block software updates then they can unblock later if you get a new boiler. Personally if I bought a new boiler I would not want the Wave as it is too much trouble in fact although I think Worcester boilers are excellent I would be looking elsewhere for the controller.

Also any decent ISO registered company would have a central database of issues so although they couldn't divulge personnel details they would know how many boilers are affected. I think as winter wears on more people will complain some won't have used the heating yet.

I have asked them to downgrade my software but haven't had a reply yet.

Cheers

Hello all,

As of yesterday I'm on 02.18.00 and we're back in business. The CH runs until 0.5c away from target then the pump runs for a few mins (approx 5 I'd say) before turning off. This is now back operating as I've always remembered. I checked first thing and the software version is still 02.18.00. Happy Days!

When I queried the "bug" in 02.18.00 I received another mail stating that bug wouldn't affect my boiler. I will keep an eye on the software just in-case but don't expect it to change after their responses.

Apart from that phone call with Adam at WB last week all my correspondence has been via [email protected].

I see no reason why your software shouldn't have already been downgraded Paul.

Cheers, Paul.

Hi Paul
Great that you are sorted but still don't see why the boiler turns off 0.5 degrees under the set target.

Noticed another issue with ours last night set temp was 21 degrees but the boiler fired up again when the room temp was 21.2 degrees.

I have been studying it more last couple of nights.
Boiler shuts off around 0.5 degrees below set temp pump keeps running until the reds go luke warm then at regular intervals the boiler fires up again this seems to be a deliberate attempt at using latent heat to reach target temp. If target not reached then boiler is given a boost of heat again until target is met.

Hello Paul,

I am sure on 02.18.02 the CH always turned off 0.5c before the target. I have never looked at the Wave app as much as I have in the last few weeks but sure that's what is has always done.

Yes, I had that issue on 02.21.00 in that even though target was eventually reached the CH kept coming on. Let's face it 02.21.00 is a load of old rubbish for certain combinations which was costing us money! Now on 02.18.00 the room temp has to drop say 0.2/0.3c below target before CH comes back on which is normal operation for me.

The good news is I don't have to keep meddling now to keep the CH on or stop the pump running.

Lastly, thanks again to all for starting this forum chat in the first place as it has clearly been a great help.

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back