WTF Brexit News This AM

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I haven't seen any of this punishment.

All I have seen is quiet polite rational comments. Maybe I am not reading the right papers or news sources ?

A logical comment from a brexit voter.

Accepting he voted for something different.

Tory MP Zac Goldsmith, the party's London mayoral candidate in 2016, has revealed he has sent a letter.

Writing in the Sunday Telegraph, the Brexiteer said that under the PM's plan "in effect, Britain would remain in the EU, but without having any say".

He added: "Had that been the choice, I personally would have voted to remain."

The sadness of facing reality

The Brexit Fantasy Goes Down in Tears

"For decades now, right-wing politicians and their allies on Fleet Street have been vilifying the E.U. and portraying its officials as meddling bureaucrats. During the referendum campaign, the Brexiteers misled the populace about how easy it would be to extract Britain from the union. They also lied about the economic benefits of leaving, claiming, for example, that it would generate billions of pounds a year to spend on the National Health Service.

Underlying this misinformation campaign was decades of social conditioning that warped the British psyche—and particularly the English psyche—into thinking that Britain was a place apart from, and superior to, the Continent. Growing up in England during the nineteen-seventies, I must have watched dozens of movies about plucky Britain’s heroic defeat of Hitler and the Germans in the Second World War, a narrative that downplayed the role of others on the allied side, including the United States. The French we learned to regard as unreliable garlic-gobblers. Italians were the butt of jokes—“What is the shortest book in the world? The Italian book of war heroes”—as were Spaniards. (“He’s from Barcelona” was a punch line in a popular television comedy.) As for the rest of the Continent, who needed it? Not us, the nation of Bobby Charlton, Churchill, Shakespeare, and King Arthur.

Things are different today, especially among young and highly educated Britons. To them, the freedom of movement enshrined in the E.U. treaties is a potential life-changer—one that entitles them to live and work anywhere from the Atlantic to the Black Sea. To many Scots, membership of the E.U., along with looser ties to the U.K., offers a path to reasserting their national identity. British businesses, and foreign businesses with plants in the U.K., are also keenly aware of the advantages that membership of the E.U. affords them, including free movement of parts, final goods, labor, and capital. In a world of global supply chains and just-in-time manufacturing, the prospect of extensive customs checks being imposed between the U.K. and its neighbors was (and is) one that horrifies businesses."

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-...KbGhLsERbCL667XJcu2GFzlNPaLIV3B6NA15i_vywZ3zA

The sadness of facing reality

The Brexit Fantasy Goes Down in Tears

"For decades now, right-wing politicians and their allies on Fleet Street have been vilifying the E.U. and portraying its officials as meddling bureaucrats. During the referendum campaign, the Brexiteers misled the populace about how easy it would be to extract Britain from the union. They also lied about the economic benefits of leaving, claiming, for example, that it would generate billions of pounds a year to spend on the National Health Service.

Underlying this misinformation campaign was decades of social conditioning that warped the British psyche—and particularly the English psyche—into thinking that Britain was a place apart from, and superior to, the Continent. Growing up in England during the nineteen-seventies, I must have watched dozens of movies about plucky Britain’s heroic defeat of Hitler and the Germans in the Second World War, a narrative that downplayed the role of others on the allied side, including the United States. The French we learned to regard as unreliable garlic-gobblers. Italians were the butt of jokes—“What is the shortest book in the world? The Italian book of war heroes”—as were Spaniards. (“He’s from Barcelona” was a punch line in a popular television comedy.) As for the rest of the Continent, who needed it? Not us, the nation of Bobby Charlton, Churchill, Shakespeare, and King Arthur.

Things are different today, especially among young and highly educated Britons. To them, the freedom of movement enshrined in the E.U. treaties is a potential life-changer—one that entitles them to live and work anywhere from the Atlantic to the Black Sea. To many Scots, membership of the E.U., along with looser ties to the U.K., offers a path to reasserting their national identity. British businesses, and foreign businesses with plants in the U.K., are also keenly aware of the advantages that membership of the E.U. affords them, including free movement of parts, final goods, labor, and capital. In a world of global supply chains and just-in-time manufacturing, the prospect of extensive customs checks being imposed between the U.K. and its neighbors was (and is) one that horrifies businesses."

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-...KbGhLsERbCL667XJcu2GFzlNPaLIV3B6NA15i_vywZ3zA
All a nice idea in fluffy bunny land.In reality free movement of people across the whole of Europe,1 currency etc,does not work,never will.Get yourself over to Poland on your bike,down and dirty in the cafes where you can feed yourself on £1 per day,and wages are crap..Not many people wandering to the east of Europe I notice.

Sponsored Links
Back