Wylex CUs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
has any one else noticed how rubbish Wylex cus are becoming latley. As i bought a 8 way insulated RCD cu the other day, but when i opened it to check it, i found that with the breakers to be able to put the cover on you have have the breaker up higher to have it level with the rcd, but in doing so it means the breaker does hook on to the rail at the top of the cu tray as it should, so this means that ownly the busbar is holding the breaker in, and also the busbar is not level either so the breakers at the end of the cu will ownly just be touching the busbar.

So that cu is going back and i will be getting a different brand.

Here are some pictures of what i was saying about

The MCB in place:

Sponsored Links
I've fitted many Wylex CU's and always find the MCB clips into place and is pressed against the top of the din rail whilst it's tightened up against the busbar.

All MCB's are in line with RCD's and the main switch.

photobucket = FAIL.... :evil:

use the photo facility on here, I'm not clicking links to photobucket, I picked up a virus from there a year or so ago...

Sponsored Links
my firm uses wylex consumer units religiouslly and i have to say i think there pretty good only problem i have ever had is mcb screw just spinning and not tightening up on bus bar but very rarely in ratio to the amount we use!
however we change the old wylex front end rcd boards that have the nb breakers in and i must say i thought they were much better design all round.
and the added perk of that is the wholesalers cant take enough wylex nb breakers off my hands!!! :D :D :D

That doesnt look like the last Wylex busbar i used.
The regular ones have stick up pins, like a comb. The pins go into the clamp at the bottom.
The busbar you have looks like the old-style ones where the busbar goes behind the screw itself.

Where did u buy that CU?

there ones i always used although i have seen ones your talkin about in plastic wylex boards

Both types of busbar are available.

The pin ones are more common as they are used with the split load / dual rcd / high integrity boards, and also the 3 phase boards.

The solid bars with U shaped holes are fitted in the boards with a single incomer (either a switch, or RCD).

there seams to be two types, flexiable bar (i.e you cut to length) or fixed bus bar as shown here (where you have to have a fixed amount of MCB's slots off the rcd)

On my Wylex board, it has a busbar with a toothed set of prongs, where one tooth fits in the bottom clamp of each breaker, and one tooth fits into the RCD's Phase output terminal, the burbar being partally screened in plastic. The breakers are clipped onto the din-rail before the busbar itself.

This is the modern arrangement, as you can alter the number of ways on each RCD on the rail. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

yep cant get enough off the wylex nb 40amps

I take it the firm you work for are aware of this? and the customer on the other side of the counter purchasing the used MCB?

oh mr high and mighty rms clean as a whistle you are i bet!!and the answer to both questions is obviously yes.
bet your the firms man who everyone steers clear of goody 2 shoes!!!

touchy!

It seemed like you were the one profiting from the sale of the MCB's

as you said,

"the wholesalers cant take enough wylex nb breakers off MY hands"

or was that another typing error?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back