YOU are the new PM.

One other thing I forgot whilist we are talking about housing related matters. 1 in 32 house in Britian is currently unoccupied. Powers should be put into place to use these houses and maybe compulsory purchase orders used if the owners refuse to do something with them.

Sponsored Links
One other thing I forgot whilist we are talking about housing related matters. 1 in 32 house in Britian is currently unoccupied. Powers should be put into place to use these houses and maybe compulsory purchase orders used if the owners refuse to do something with them.

And most of 'em are probably owned by the richest 5% of the population. I guess all these empty homes help to keep rents and house prices at a premium.

Not saying it's wrong or right just a response to the martian's worry that prosperous areas would suffer.
It is a contentious area and any measure will probably end up effecting a portion of the population more than another be it poll tax, local income tax or a window tax.
I don't know maybe a tax based on how many cars at a house or maybe we should weigh the bins and pay proportate to how much we throw out (actually I like that one as it takes me a month or more to fill a wheelie bin :) )

Or we could bring about a flat tax per person and have done with it.
A rich person uses just as many services as a poor person.

You are describing the poll tax, no?

RIOT!

I wonder if the poll tax riots were really about the poll tax? or maybe it was years of Thatcherism that pushed people over the edge? or maybe it's just that the police were unprepared and the oiks saw a good opportunity for a bit of a rumble?

Don't know why they can't just adjust income tax (upwards) accordingly and scrap local taxation. Central gov then dish out the money to councils on a per head basis. Potential flaws?

Sponsored Links

RIOT!

I wonder if the poll tax riots were really about the poll tax? or maybe it was years of Thatcherism that pushed people over the edge? or maybe it's just that the police were unprepared and the oiks saw a good opportunity for a bit of a rumble?

Don't know why they can't just adjust income tax (upwards) accordingly and scrap local taxation. Central gov then dish out the money to councils on a per head basis. Potential flaws?

...for similar reasons as i have said before. People with a higher salary do not use more services.

You don't go into a shop to buy some milk and they charge one person 50p and another £5 ...because the second person earns more.

I am a bit confused how the percentage you pay of your income goes up too.

Surely paying 30% of 150k (45k) and paying 30% of 20k (6k) means that the rich person gives back to the community a lot more than the lower earners anyway...without increasing their % to 50.

Very bizarre 'fairness' we have.

Probably the best solution.
As regards the poll tax it is fair to say that a rich person uses the same services as a poorer person, chip papers and champagne bottles can both go in the recycling bin after all.
Lets not forget Thatcher broke the law with the poll tax.
She brought it in a year earlier in Scotland than the rest of the country and thus broke the Act of Union of 1707 which forebade any differenciation of taxation.

Probably the same reason that the price of stuff in shops is marked up as high as the market will stand, so it goes that tax is as high as the good people will stand. The high earners are in a minority so the govt can afford to lose a few thousand votes to the conservatives from the middle to upper classes.
Except what the Labs have forgotten to do is keep the lower to middle classes sweet, doh!

The biggest mistake Maggie made with the dreaded Poll Tax was, leaving it up to individual council's to set the rate of taxation. When it was introduced, it was mentioned that it shouldn't cost anyone in the UK any more than £246 in the first year. Our local council (Labour run at the time) set the Poll Tax rate at £349 per person in the first year.
As a result, because I was married at the time, I had to find almost £700, when under the old rates system I only paid around £320 per year.

Probably seems a doddle compared to how much you pay now. ?

Probably the same reason that the price of stuff in shops is marked up as high as the market will stand, so it goes that tax is as high as the good people will stand. The high earners are in a minority so the govt can afford to lose a few thousand votes to the conservatives from the middle to upper classes.
Except what the Labs have forgotten to do is keep the lower to middle classes sweet, doh!

That is not far off taxing jews 80% of everything they earn and have...after all, their demographic is small so they can afford to lose their votes.

Just disgusts me the blatant discrimination against people who have done alright in life.

That is not far off taxing jews 80% of everything they earn and have...after all, their demographic is small so they can afford to lose their votes.

Just disgusts me the blatant discrimination against people who have done alright in life.

Are you comparing Jewish people with the wealthy?

RIOT!

No, they were about the Poll Tax, and nothing else. I was there. The police were well prepared, they'd spent 10 years fighting the miners. They've only just made the last of the refusniks finally pay up the poll tax they owed.

Thatcher wasnt as unpopular as you are trying to make out, otherwise how do you think she managed to win 4 elections? It was here protoge John Major who finally managed to lose an election. The looney left have always slagged off Thacher, but she didnt manage to stay in power by fiddling the poll (as labour is now trying to do), but dont you believe there claims that she was unpopular, not anywhere near the extent her detractors would believe. Theres a concerted effort here by labour to rewrite history.

Probably seems a doddle compared to how much you pay now. ?

I dunno Deluks, even if I had a job nowadays I'd only pay just under £700 per year. (bearing in mind that the Poll Tax was introduced in 1990).
So inflation has accounted for nothing??

RIOT!

No, they were about the Poll Tax, and nothing else. I was there. The police were well prepared, they'd spent 10 years fighting the miners. They've only just made the last of the refusniks finally pay up the poll tax they owed.

Ohh believe me they haven't. But I won't say anything else in case it incriminates me. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Day one - Compile a list of all the MP's caught up in the expenses scandal and fire them.

Day two - Fix all of the pot holes on English roads and smash up all speeding cameras.

Day three - Tell Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland that they can take their independance and stuff it up their chuffers and cut all funding that goes to those countries.

Day four - Hire loads of police and immigration units, force them to seek out all illegal immigrants and asylum seekers and have them chucked on a plane and sent home.

Day five - Have the local police forces and councils go through their areas and chuck out all the problem families and doll spongers from their homes and have them taken to a basic housing facility where they have one large room with beds, bathroom and kitchen utilities and provide them with 3 square meals a day. They will also be forced to do community service to earn their meals. Their problematic children will be given a very strict education and corporal punishment will be reinstated.

Day six - End all "Green" projects and fire all english scientists that signed up to the global warming scam. Start building numerous nuclear power stations.

Day seven - Give farmers money to produce all of our countries needs such as dairy, vegatables, fruit and meat products and end all bio fuel projects.

Day eight - Tell the EU that they can stick their treaty where the sun don't shine and vito everything until we are let out of the EU. In turn chuck out all the EU immigrants.

Day nine - End national insurance, road tax and fuel VAT and set up a simple tax system where you pay a flat rate of tax.

Day 10 - Pull soldiers out of Afghanistan.

In my opinion this would be a good start to paying off the national debt and after the defecit is paid off i'd give everyone tax breaks as reward for sorting this sh*thole country out!

May seem a little harsh but hey ho, this is England and the English people would be my main priority.

Sponsored Links
Back