You can cure more than bacon by hanging it fom a string

If the evidence was incontrovertable, should capital punishment be used?

• Yes

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And therin lies the crutch to the argument. "Natural Instincts". Surely, if we are to accept that darwinistic evolution is true, then ignoring the natural progression of things is something that we do at great peril.
Unless of course the 'natural progression of things' is to evolve our 'natural instincts' into something better... Otherwise we may just revert to the 'law of the jungle' from whence we came...

Sponsored Links
And therin lies the crutch to the argument. "Natural Instincts". Surely, if we are to accept that darwinistic evolution is true, then ignoring the natural progression of things is something that we do at great peril.

Darwins argument was based on biological criteria 'survival of the fittest' the human dilemma is more psychological.
Animals kill other animals out of instinct to feed,usually.
Humans' kill other human beings for a multitude of reasons,power,greed,envy,sexual gratification etc.
The curse of having a brain that can think and having emotions is not always the panacea it seems, with a brain comes responsibility sadly lacking in some so called intelligent people.

Unless of course the 'natural progression of things' is to evolve our 'natural instincts' into something better... Otherwise we may just revert to the 'law of the jungle' from whence we came...
Possibly. Bit of a gamble though, especially when our evolution so far would appear to have led to gross overpopulation, burning anything we can get our hands on, killing each other in more or less perpetual wars etc etc etc.

Darwins argument was based on biological criteria 'survival of the fittest' the human dilemma is more psychological.
Isn't one's psychlogical makeup directly linked to one' biological properties anyway?

And, in the case of the "death penalty" under discussion, isn't it partly an innate instinct to kill something that is a threat.

Sponsored Links
my cat kills things just for fun. so do other people's cats

Isn't one's psychlogical makeup directly linked to one' biological properties anyway?
Insofar as having a larger brain than most primates yes, its what we do with it that makes us different.
[/quote]my cat kills things just for fun. so do other people's cats
Most carnivores especially when young practice attacks this in older cats is just toying with pray keeps them active stop feeding it for a few days bet it survives on instinct. How many dogs could ? not many been bred out of them.

domestic cats are natural born killers. mine included. GRRRR

true. when they're not killing something, tormenting the dog or eating, they're asleep. that's evolution for you.

I propose capital punishment for killer cats. (also cats that **** where they shouldn't) :mad:

So, as part of our evolved state, are we really being more "humane" to lock someone up for the rest of his or her life, with them being entirely aware that their actions and by association they themselves are hated?

Do they deserve humanity of any sort. The problem for me is who has the right to take anyones life, the executioner included.

Do they deserve humanity of any sort. The problem for me is who has the right to take anyones life, the executioner included.
No-one does..a state sanctioned murder is no more justified than any other murder.

Sponsored Links
Back