Antsy attitudes

Is this going the way of a locked thread again... ;)

You're right though Chri5. But not everyone gets involved in the backwards & forwards disputes over who said what to who...and what did you call me mum? :LOL:

Some members do seem to have a bit of a dislike for each other but then that's nothing different to the Real World™ I suppose. I'm sure they believe their reasons legitimate. They probably are legitimate! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
LOL!! I was gonna give a thread asking for an end to pointless argumentativeness at least three pages until it became a thread mostly containing pointless argumentativeness! Got there in two - sigh...

Before it gets locked ... I would agree that the tone of this board in particular is generally less than friendly and a bit 'prickly'.

Now and again a poster will ressurect a post from a few years ago and the difference in tone is quite startling. There was such a post within the last couple of months, and I couldn't believe how friendly and helpfull the posts were (a lot of them were from the still regular 'experts' here today). The penny dropped when I looked at the dates - 2007.

Seem's you've all become a bid jaded and fed up of the same old questions, what size cable for my shower etc, I guess this is understandable but please remember that posters often join to ask a specific question on a subject new to them. Better promotion of the search / FAQ section maybe?

It would appear BAS is the biggest culprit but I am sure he will make a very valid and informative post like he always does!!!!!

Sponsored Links
The same questions do get asked all the time, but this is inevitable.

Far more annoying is
- people attempting tasks which are clearly well beyond the scope of DIY, such as installing a consumer unit.
- blatant lies such as the old 'my electrician is on holiday so please tell me what to buy and how to do the entire job '.
- discussions where it takes 3 pages just to establish what has actually been done. Such as 'changed a light switch, now it doesn't work' - only to find out days later that most of the lighting circuit has been worked on, with switches and lights being changed all over the house.

Back to the OP, this forum could be immeasureably imporved by the simple action of banning ban-all-sheds from posting.

"Simples"

Without BAS playing devils advocate, there would be no debate. Even tho' in some cases he does seem to be on a crusade. Looking at some of his posting times, does he still work,or is he spending his time looking through the BOOK for inconsistances in posters enquiries?

There would still be debate, the kind of debates that often go on on here between other forumers.

However there would be much fewer personal insults, much fewer condescending remarks, making it far easier for the technical help to shine through.

Mainly thought, it would be much less monotonous and boring.

It would appear BAS is the biggest culprit
Am I really?

Or is it that there are one or two posters here who have taken such a dislike to me that they think that the right way for them to behave is to launch into off-topic criticisms of me because of something I wrote in an earlier topic which they disagreed with?

Back to the OP, this forum could be immeasureably imporved by the simple action of banning ban-all-sheds from posting.
So when anti-capitalist demonstrators engage in violent and destructive protests on the streets because they don't like the presence of a G8 summit meeting, what do you think should be the actions of the authorities?

Should they ban the G8 people, or should they deal with the disruptive troublemakers?

Have you noticed that in this topic, for example, people are complaining about things I might or might not have written in the past when all I did was to enter it with a civil and reasoned response to points that another poster had raised? Nobody has been able to come up with any rational counter to what I wrote here, in fact they haven't even tried.

The problem is not me, it is those who think that a personal dislike of me gives them the right to engage in unjustifiable, irrelevant and inconsistent behaviour in any topic of their choosing, just so long as it is critical of me.

I really dislike the practice of dragging irrelevant disputes from one topic to another, but just this once I will refer to another one. I recently asked a perfectly reasonable question about dimmer switches, and this prompted holmslaw to complain that it was inefficient (but he couldn't explain why), to suggest that I might be lying about the size of the room involved, and to accuse me of dishonesty because he refuses to believe that I did not write about defrauding an insurance company in a different thread several weeks previously.

Why is his behaviour regarded as acceptable?

Banal, Banal, Banal; your G8 protest comparison is completely disingenuous and irrelevant, although it does raise a good point, although I'm sure it's not the point you hoped to make: Yes, the authorities should deal with the disruptive troublemakers - and that is what I have suggested here, ie ban you. You are the very epitome of a disruptive troublemaker, you post on here not to help people with DIY questions, but to make your self seem superior through your repetitive and ever more pathetic character assassinations.

Unfortunately, this forum does not exist to allow you to combat your inferiority complex, but to help DIYers. This forum would be far more useful, not to mention friendly, if it weren't for your incessant attack posts.

Spending hour after hour after hour, hunched over a keyboard with your regs book beside you (although to be fair, many of your recent attacks have been on a personal level, thus not requiring BS7671 reg numbers), preparing for the next multi-quote based outburst of anger, does not help anyone. And I'd include you in that.

Peace.

Well said LoveRocket. A lot of the agro on here comes from people complaining about BAS. He went absent recently for a week and the level of antsy on here went to about zero. The level of advice didn't suffer either, in fact there was less bad advice given. There are plenty of people on here who know electrics who aren't called BAS.

Anyway, this is a DIY web site and people who ask questions should be congratulated for being interested and be encouraged to do it properly and not called idiots. They are not idiots because they cannot change a consumer unit, they just didn't learn how to be an electrican after leaving school. An electrician who didn't learn how to be a doctor and so goes to see his GP for a trivial reason isn't an idiot for doing so. He expertise lies elsewhere, that's all.

Now there is nothing wrong with saying' this needs to be notified', but what is wrong is when that is all you say. If you explain how to do the work, civilly, then after that say it's notifiable then that is far better.

An electrician who didn't learn how to be a doctor and so goes to see his GP for a trivial reason isn't an idiot for doing so. He expertise lies elsewhere, that's all.

True. But an electrician who doesn't go to see his GP and then attempts to remove his own appendix probably would be called an idiot. Is that really any different from a GP who attempts to change his own CU?

Yes it's very different and misses my point. An electrician could remove an appendix if he was taught how to do it. And take it from me, it ain't difficult.... once you have been shown how to do it, and it only take a few times..........

In fact, I would say it's easier to remove an appendix than change a CU. The hard part is knowing to take out the appendix and not the gall bladder.

It's just harder to get into medical school than electrician school.

But i digress....

Banal, Banal, Banal;
You complain about me engaging in character assassinations - how would you categorise what you wrote there?

You are the very epitome of a disruptive troublemaker, you post on here not to help people with DIY questions, but to make your self seem superior through your repetitive and ever more pathetic character assassinations.
Would you please provide examples of my repetitive character assassinations? I assume that accusation is a rational one?

This forum would be far more useful, not to mention friendly, if it weren't for your incessant attack posts.
Would you please provide examples of my incessant attack posts? I assume that accusation is a rational one?

many of your recent attacks have been on a personal level
I don't know what you term "recent", but would you please produce these many personal attacks? I assume that accusation is a rational one?

Anyway, this is a DIY web site and people who ask questions should be congratulated for being interested and be encouraged to do it properly and not called idiots.
Since you seem to be using this topic as a vehicle to criticise me, will you show me where I have called someone an idiot for asking a question?

Now there is nothing wrong with saying' this needs to be notified', but what is wrong is when that is all you say. If you explain how to do the work, civilly, then after that say it's notifiable then that is far better.
Please show me where I have refused or failed to give advice on how to do something because it is notifiable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back