Spot the (deliberate?) mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
I don't class my MFT as one of my tools.
Quite - and, as I've been saying, I suspect the author of the book didn't either. My suspicion is that there is probably a list of 'essential test equipment' (and possibly also 'desirable test equipment') elsewhere in the book.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I disagree
Fair enough.

Finding a route for and installing the cables is often the most difficult.

vs

Finding a route for, and installing, the cables is often the most difficult.

It is advisable to keep a spare battery which is fully charged as you will find that the battery always runs flat at the most inconvenient time.

vs

It is advisable to keep a spare battery, which is fully charged, as you will find that the battery always runs flat at the most inconvenient time.

But you are wrong.

but that still leaves several.
Oh yes.

On the whole it is pretty dire.

Never heard equipment like that referred to in the context of "tools of the trade"?

And there's this: http://images.google.com/images?q=electrical+testing+tools

OK - you don't refer to it as a tool.

But it is.

:confused:

No it isn't.

Try an image search for electricians tools. The results vary massively from your misleading search with virtually all the results not including a tester.

The majority of an electricians work does not require a tester. A new build house will require a week of two electricians using their tools and just a few hours of one person using the test kit.

A rewire is similar. Maybe ten mins of proving dead, a week of using our tools and then a couple of hours testing to commission the job.

Get on to a large commercial job and there could be 50 electricians working for months on end doing the installation work with just one man following them doing the testing and commissioning. The 50 electricians certainly would not class a tester as part of their tool kit.

No it isn't.

'A tool is any physical item that can be used to achieve a goal, especially if the item is not consumed in the process. ... Tools that are used in particular fields or activities may have different designations such as "instrument", "utensil", "implement", "machine", or "apparatus".'

1 A device or implement, especially one held in the hand, used to carry out a particular function'

screenshot_254.jpg

Try an image search for electricians tools. The results vary massively from your misleading search with virtually all the results not including a tester.
I did not manipulate the results, therefore my search was not misleading. Of course a different search will produce different answers.

I haven't done the search, but as you have can you tell us whether virtually all the results do, or do not, include these:

screenshot_256.jpg

The majority of an electricians work does not require a tester.
The majority of an electrician's work does not require a pneumatic concrete breaker either, but that doesn't mean it's not a tool.

A new build house will require a week of two electricians using their tools and just a few hours of one person using the test kit.
That doesn't mean that the test apparatus is not a tool.

I doubt if a new build house requires any use of this:

COSDG.JPG

But that doesn't mean it isn't a tool.

A rewire is similar. Maybe ten mins of proving dead, a week of using our tools and then a couple of hours testing to commission the job.
The fact that a particular tool is used for less time than other ones does not mean it is not a tool.

The fact that by numbers a particular tool is the least common in someone's set of tools does not mean that is is not a tool.

Get on to a large commercial job and there could be 50 electricians working for months on end doing the installation work with just one man following them doing the testing and commissioning.
And that one man will be using a tool.

The 50 electricians certainly would not class a tester as part of their tool kit.
They probably wouldn't class a pick and a shovel as part of their tool kit either.

I've done a bit of everything to keep busy from commercial contracting on a £17M project, partial rewires, maintenence, extra sockets and lights, burglar alarms, a fire alarm, painting, digging drains,
Did you use a tool for the digging, or your bare hands?

Does the fact that pick and a shovel will not show up on an image search for electricians tools mean that they are not tools?

Would their status change if the trench you had dug was for a cable and not a drain?

You might want to think about tool insurance. You can't work without them. Could you afford to replace them if they were stolen?
Does your tool insurance cover your Fluke MFT?

Get on to a large commercial job and there could be 50 electricians working for months on end doing the installation work with just one man following them doing the testing and commissioning. The 50 electricians certainly would not class a tester as part of their tool kit.
Maybe not, in an environment like that.

But if they were self employed electricians they would need one in their tool kit, and it would be a tool even if they didn't keep it in the same box as their screwdrivers, pliers, cutters and knives.

If they were self employed electricians they would need one in their tool kit, and it would be a tool even if they only used it for 10% of the time they spent rewiring a house.

No it isn't.

You've dug up posts from two years ago just to prove that you are never ever wrong. Wow.

All this because someone calls something slightly different to you. It's not like the author of the book is advising anyone to do electrical work without testing. Get a grip.

You've dug up posts from two years ago just to prove that you are never ever wrong. Wow.
Quite so - and it completely misses the point I made which started all this. The word "tool" is used in so many different ways (including ones which have nothing at all to do with physical objects of any type) that making assertions about definitions and meanings is of no real relevance to the discussion, even if it helps BAS's ego.

My point was that at least some people undoubtedly think of test/measuring equipment as being in a different category from 'tools' (which they regard as things for doing mechanical jobs), and therefore would probably not include such things in a 'list of tools' but, instead, would have them in a list of their own - which is what I suspect has happened (probably in the section/chapter on testing) in the book to which BAS has referred. BAS seems to be just 'looking for something to criticise', in this case without even having the full facts (about the book).

Kind Regards, John

If one of my mates rings me up and says "I'm really busy could you work for me for a day. You'll only need your tools" I would not take my MFT as I know it would not be required.

If one of my mates rings me up and says "I'm really busy could you work for me for a day. You'll only need your tools" I would not take my MFT as I know it would not be required.
As I've implied, I think similarly - as I'm sure, do a good few others. I also accept that some people undoubtedly do think of test equipment as 'tools' - but I suspect that the author of the book is 'one of us', rather than 'one of them'. Even the TLC main index has separate sections for "Tools (and ladders!)" and "Test Meters" (which includes all types of test equipment).

Kind Regards, John

So have you changed your mind in the intervening two years about whether picks, shovels and testers are tools? Or have you always though they are not?

All this because someone calls something slightly different to you.
No - all this because of this:

Never heard equipment like that referred to in the context of "tools of the trade"?

And there's this: http://images.google.com/images?q=electrical+testing+tools

OK - you don't refer to it as a tool.

But it is.

No it isn't.

It's not like the author of the book is advising anyone to do electrical work without testing.
I never said he was - just observing that a tool list in a book written for DIYers ought to include a means of testing for dead.

Get a grip.
Don't worry, I have a perfect grip.

If you can manage to get one, please tell us whether joistrippers, pot crimpers and conduit dies are tools or not, or why that status depends on how many electricians have them in their tool kit.

The word "tool" is used in so many different ways (including ones which have nothing at all to do with physical objects of any type) that making assertions about definitions and meanings is of no real relevance to the discussion, even if it helps BAS's ego.
Good grief.

Is it reasonable to assume that you are not using the word "ego" in it's psychoanalytical sense?

Because if so, I would say to you the sort of thing I have said to others - just because you are the type of person who posts here to "help your ego" please don't assume that other people are so afflicted.

My point was that at least some people undoubtedly think of test/measuring equipment as being in a different category from 'tools' (which they regard as things for doing mechanical jobs), and therefore would probably not include such things in a 'list of tools' but, instead, would have them in a list of their own - which is what I suspect has happened (probably in the section/chapter on testing) in the book to which BAS has referred.
Clearly people do categorise tools.

But to argue that testers should not be in a list of tools because they are not tools is fatuous - of course they are tools.

BAS seems to be just 'looking for something to criticise'
FGS - don't be ridiculous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back