PIR Report

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A copy of a PIR given to me by a new customer. The installation is TNCS, the Ze on the report is 0.56ohm (I measured it and got 0.06ohm) Look at the cpc sizes for the t&e cables! The PIR was done by a registered company/electrician.
100_0268.jpg

100_0270.jpg

Sponsored Links
Oh good greif :rolleyes:

I'm loving the phrase "electronics", which we all know means "I'm either too lazy or too incompetent to test the circuit properly"

No R1+R2 for the ring final, and no 5xI∆n on the RCD.

500MΩ seems a very precise figure for every circuit to be at. :LOL:

Can you post us the rest of the certificate to have a laugh at?

(Obviously obscure the customers and contractors details)

There's a reason why theres no 5xI∆n on the RCD ;)

The disconnection times are not from 17th edn also.

Sponsored Links
lazy<=>incompetent

In my book.

Those IR readings are clearly made up. From all the meters i've used it would either be >299 or >999 so he doesn't mean that!!!!

I WANT to know who the company is, they should not be getting away with it

More details,
The DB was 100ma RCD main switch type, (no 30ma for sockets etc) the report was marked 'Satisfactory' don't know why they didn't do the R1+R2 measurement?

The measurements for the cooker circuit are suspect - 0.06 for R1R2, yet measured Zs is 0.51 - far more than most of the other circuits?.

'Lts' (Lights presumably) apparently have 'electronics' yet smoke detectors do not? Even if they did, there should be no problem measuring L-E and N-E.

Were BS3871 breakers ever manufactured in 6, 16 and 32A sizes? 5, 15 and 30A is more likely - probably the Wylex press button types?

What did he put down as observations and recommendations?
No sufficent RCD protection on sockets, depending where they are can be a code 1 or 2.
If they were OK under the 16th edn tho a code 4 might be more suitable.

I do often wonder where companies insist on us entering details which we are not really able to know.
If we look at a modern 6242Y cable then 1mm has 1mm ECC and 6mm has 2.5mm ECC but one can't really know those sizes without measuring in some way and times given for a PIR are to tight to remove every cable to measure.
Also how can one tell between 6242Y and 6242B maybe it is written on sheath but can one see the sheath?
To enter these details on the installation certificate is good. But in most cases with a PIR we do not know the details and to look at some of the old 2.5mm cables or imperial equivalent it is very easy to mix it up with 4mm cable. Or vice versa as has happened many times where someone extends what they think is a ring main but is a 4mm radial.
So I have long questioned the entering of values which one knows the likely hood is we will guess.
And like you have had some one gives you a report which you rely on. So do you remove and measure the ECC or do you guess?
I would normally enter the sizes from old certificate and would hope these had been found in a likewise manor back to original insulation cert. And where it asks how I can tick inquiry.
So is it out with the micrometer?

how is it that the light circuit has no Ze?
Zs-(R1+R2)=Ze?
0.49-0.49=0
the Ze doesn't appear to be constant either..

Ze1 = 0.45
Ze2 = ( can't be arsed to do the math )
Ze3 = 0.20
Ze4 = 0.48
Ze5 = 0.00?

You can't work out Ze by subtracting (R1+R2) from Zs owing to parallel paths.

Yes, as you measure Ze in isolation, then add (R1+R2) which gives a worst case scenario Zs.

I would say the installation is no more than 20years old. Basicly its a poor PIR. There were no recomendations or comments on the PIR.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back