British Gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Had a letter from British gas come through the other day stating that they were looking for technical engineers in my area. Before I apply I thought I'd see if any of you guys on here know what its like working for British Gas?

Pay, hours, work load, overtime etc.....any info would be useful

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its absolutley BRILLIANT. Loads of money, only have to work 37 hrs a week and you get every weekend off. You always get a GA call to make it worth sitting on your arse on a Friday night

:eek: :LOL: :eek:

Opps blimey I was having a dream. Sorry all that above is working for myself AFTER working for them for 18 years

Stan

Bet you will be under pressure to meet targets to acheive good money :mad:

i have sub contracted to them twice the prices are ok .. but they never pay any extras and the materials ar always a little short... you are surposed to get a ticket signed for any materials you use of your own .. the lead wont sign em .. never ever ...
they have as much or as least work you ccan handle ..
for me it is a last resort but u will never know unless u try it ..

good luck m8

Sponsored Links
good:
4 days a week for 6 months of the year, van, tools, jobs on a computer for you first thing in the morning, fellow engineer backup, next day delivery of parts and unused parts return, top class training if you want it to be. overtime some ok paid, some very well paid. Reference material on pc particularly good if short on experience.

bad:
The odd weekend shift, weekday standby and out of hours call out, the constantly changing and tightening procedures, meeting targets

Ollski from what i hear you are about to be hit with the big stick again very soon, one of top guys getting moved sidewards . And hardliner coming in to get targets met an recalls sorted. :evil: :evil:

ollski said:
good:
4 days a week for 6 months of the year, van, tools, jobs on a computer for you first thing in the morning, fellow engineer backup, next day delivery of parts and unused parts return, top class training if you want it to be. overtime some ok paid, some very well paid. Reference material on pc particularly good if short on experience.

bad:
The odd weekend shift, weekday standby and out of hours call out, the constantly changing and tightening procedures, meeting targets

What do you mean about the tightening procedures? And as a breakdown engineer, what would a typical target be?

Also, do you get paid for working weekends and call out or is it part of the basic salary?

Thanks

Also, with regards to the training, is it a case of they tell you what courses you go on, or can you choose as many / little as you like?

newcomers said:
Hi,

Had a letter from British gas come through the other day stating that they were looking for technical engineers in my area. Before I apply I thought I'd see if any of you guys on here know what its like working for British Gas?

Pay, hours, work load, overtime etc.....any info would be useful

Thanks

Absolutely superb.........I worked for BG in the early 80's and stole so much gear (walk into stores every day and load up van with pipe,fittings and lead) that i now own 6 houses :D
Not sure about nowadays though :?:

I would expect its a very good job for someone rather inexperienced.

Most people who join in their twenties seem to stay for about 20 years so it cannot be that bad.

Only slight problem for you would be that you cannot join the pension scheme based on a final salary proportion.

I am refering to a full time staff position and not subcontrating for boiler installs.

Tony

namsag said:
Ollski from what i hear you are about to be hit with the big stick again very soon, one of top guys getting moved sidewards . And hardliner coming in to get targets met an recalls sorted. :evil: :evil:

Well not really sideways, retired. Targets mean nothing tbh as long as you pretty much get your day in work your working hours and follow procedures there cannot be any come back. What I would say is that if you are of a stressful disposition it may not be the job for you.

Standbys, rosta work, weekends and call outs all attract extra premiums by the way.

tony, i have to say . i like your delivery. succinct and to the point.
respect mate.

and im not takin the p£ss. jeeeeez im going all serious. :(

ollski said:
namsag said:

Well not really sideways, retired. Targets mean nothing tbh as long as you pretty much get your day in work your working hours and follow procedures there cannot be any come back. What I would say is that if you are of a stressful disposition it may not be the job for you.

Standbys, rosta work, weekends and call outs all attract extra premiums by the way.

Whys that then?

Agile said:
I would expect its a very good job for someone rather inexperienced.

Most people who join in their twenties seem to stay for about 20 years so it cannot be that bad.

Only slight problem for you would be that you cannot join the pension scheme based on a final salary proportion.

I am refering to a full time staff position and not subcontrating for boiler installs.

Tony

DOYLE

go back to playing with television :rolleyes:

Watch Ollski.

If you cut him in half it says BG right through him. :D

I was like that until I got utterly ****ed off with the fact that nobody wanted to actually repair a boiler or take ownership of their jobs and then I left.

Tony has a very good point in that if you are young and inexperienced then BG is an excellent place to start. Get the fundamentals right which they should train you to do.

Dont listen to bigoted old farts like me. Im just saying that the grass IS greener on the other side

Stan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back