how to tell someone they smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how?? without causing offence?
when a colleague has bad breath, how do you tell them?

let's rule out the scenario of saying, 'you stink'!

this isnt a slobby unhygienic person and I think they would be mortified that people have noticed.

but I hate being in a car with thenm and people talk about them.
I personally cant bear to be too close but I hate it that people are talking about them as it is unkind.

I appreciate this will attract jokey comments but seriously... any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
next time they get in a car with you place a tube of tooth paste on the dashboard.......when they ask whats this for....you exclaim....yes what is it for.....job done no hurt feelings :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

prod... maybe you are right... but I know this would embarrass them and I cant be so direct..

Sponsored Links
oh.. I was slow prod.. you were taking the p*** !! :LOL:

Every time you see them, pull out a packet of mints and take one for yourself, then put it back in your pocket. A few seconds later, slap your forehead, say how rude you are and offer them one - if all goes to plan they will accept and job done, do this a few times throughout the day if necessary (but not too often, some of these mints produce laxative effects, and that would probably be worse than some bad breath... :LOL:)

If they don't accept the mint, they don't deserve your help and you should be as blunt as necessary.

Take your youngest in the car on a journey with them, see how long it takes for a youngster to speak their mind!!

it probably shows me up for being weak... as I am thinking I would rather say nothing than cause myself the discomfort of saying something.

If I was getting talked about.. I think I would rather someone told me... even though it would be embarrassing.

maybe I could ask if they had a sore throat or if they had been eating garlic?

surely that would intimate a smelly breath....

seriously there is`nt an easy way, when i`ve found myself in these awkward situations the direct approach with a bit of sensitivity works best it all depends on your relationship :)

yes.. its a friendly relationship but still just a colleague relationship.
I think I might try to do a sensitive approach but I will try to say something as I cant bear to hear others being nasty about them for that reason only.

next time they get in the car place a chainsaw on the dashboard.....they`ll get the message :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

it might be a dental or a digestive problem, or they may just eat of lot of smelly food.

Mints and toothbrushes won't cure these.

if it is a health problem, then maybe the answer is to put up with it.. rather than make them suffer more for something they may already be aware of. I think there is no way other than be direct.. im not sure if I can do it. I wonder why its such a social stigma to point out body odours..

I also work with a mate who has a bo problem and although the other lads mention it too we have not got the heart to say something without hurting this guy

tough one.....

Put yourself in their place. Would you like to be told? How would you prefer them to break the news?
Personally, I have no tact....wish I did....but stuff just pops out. And to be fair, if they're still around, then it's out in the open and job done. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back