2-pin to 3-pin (Chinese made product)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've just bought a new media player (MECOOL M8S Pro+) which came with an adapter (see pic). I've read that it should really have a 'converter plug' which I'll get but in the meantime:
- do these adapters pose an actual danger?
- my existing media player has a 'made for UK' power pack/socket. Could I plug that into the new device (assuming it has the same V & A numbers)?
Thank you
plug.jpg

Sponsored Links
- do these adapters pose an actual danger?
Unfortunately, the simple answer is 'yes' - that is a diabolical object!
- my existing media player has a 'made for UK' power pack/socket. Could I plug that into the new device (assuming it has the same V & A numbers)?
Possibly. In theory, if it provides 5V DC and can supply at least 2A (and has an appropriate plug on the end for your media player), it should work.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks guys. I've unplugged the existing player and attached a pic of the power pack/plug's label. I think it meets with what you say above but would welcome your confirmation. Thanks again.
exist plug.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I've unplugged the existing player and attached a pic of the power pack/plug's label. I think it meets with what you say above but would welcome your confirmation.
NO. That one has a 12V DC output, which might well kill your media player. You need one with a 5V DC output.

Kind Regards, John

Or should I get this?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Sup...&qid=1504276882&sr=8-1&keywords=5v+dc+adapter

Actually, this has confused me – the product description says “With charger jack size of 3.5mm”. Is that the length or the diameter? The picture gives a diameter of 5.5mm (total) and 2.5mm (core). My new Chinese adapter measures roughly 5mm total diameter and is 1cm long. So it's the length that's bugging me – do they differ or will they all be 1cm long (the metal part of it)? Many thanks.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Or should I get this? .... Actually, this has confused me – the product description says “With charger jack size of 3.5mm”. Is that the length or the diameter? The picture gives a diameter of 5.5mm (total) and 2.5mm (core). My new Chinese adapter measures roughly 5mm total diameter and is 1cm long. So it's the length that's bugging me – do they differ or will they all be 1cm long (the metal part of it)?
The 3.5mm is the outer diameter, but the 'internal' core diameter also has to be right. The length does not matter (within reason).

Kind Regards, John

Why wouldn't it? The OPs wall wart appears to have the pins on a protrouding part as is normal in Europe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back