2-pin to 3-pin (Chinese made product)

Which would make winston1's solution non-regulation, no?
It won't comply for the purposes of supplying it with an item of equipment, but the power supply you have cannot be fitted into the proper adaptor, so if you want to use it, the 'non-compliant' adaptor is the only choice.

Sponsored Links
This is what led me to look for a new plug, it's from this site:
http://www.pat-testing-training.net/articles/non-uk-plug-adaptors.php
See the end of the article: "The conversion plug must enclose the non-UK plug and it must be designed so that it can only be removed by using a tool".

Which would make winston1's solution non-regulation, no?

Interesting. An awful lot of UK shops sell that adapter, not only small shops but many of the big supermarkets too (at around £2.70).

images
Ah - that puts a different complexion on things! Where did you find that view?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Interesting. An awful lot of UK shops sell that adapter, not only small shops but many of the big supermarkets too (at around £2.70).
I don't think that selling them on their own is a problem - it's only when equipment is sold in the UK with a non-BS1363 plug that it has to also be supplied with a 'conversion plug', not an adapter.

Kind Regards, John

As in post 7. But will it fit?
(Sorry, I had not noted Post 7.)

The "Euro Plug" (IEC Type C) connection of the power supply will fit the adapter.
Whether the combination of the adapter and the power supply will then fit into a BS 1363 wall socket (IEC Type G) is another question.

It may depend on how much space is available below the wall socket!

Whether the combination of the adapter and the power supply will then fit into a BS 1363 wall socket (IEC Type G) is another question ..... It may depend on how much space is available below the wall socket!
Since the device plugs into the adaptor 'sideways', it's probably at least as much how much space there is beside the socket.

Assuming there are no obstructions below or beside the socket, whether the device+adaptor will be able to fully plug into the BS1363 socket obviously depends on 'X' in the below being no greater than 'Y'. From the photos, it looks as if that's probably the case. One would hope that those who designed the PSU would have thought of that - although given the adapter they provide with it, I suppose one can't be too confident!
upload_2017-9-2_11-28-41.png

Kind Regards, John

I'll let you know if it fits in a few days time (delivery expected by Wednesday of a plug like the one directly above).

Via e-bay. The device (MECOOL M8S Pro+) gets excellent reviews on the tech sites. I tried for a few minutes using the dodgy adapter and it does indeed work well.

If it was me - i'd cut the cable from the chinese supply and fit a Usb end. plenty of 5v 2a USB power supplies

That's interesting. Is it a fiddly job requiring soldering (something I've never done)?

Ideally, I think I'd like a new PSU but one of the reviews of this device says “The power supply unit is a standard 5V/2A model with a proprietary connector” which suggests I wouldn't be able to buy one. By looking at this pic, can anyone tell me if that's the case? Many thanks indeed.

jack.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back