24/7 Home Rescue -Fail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not absolutely clear on the story, but from what I have been able to gather and I've not actually seen the problem...

For months girlfriend has been complaining about a serious bathroom water leak. She has the most expensive package from https://247homerescue.co.uk/ , which claims to cover
+External Plumbing & Drainage +Internal Plumbing & Drainage. It's some sort of package deal, where she pays £40 per month, which also included the install of a new boiler.

She called them out to investigate, but she suggests they just glanced at the soaking floor, and said they wouldn't touch in because it would involve ripping the floor up, the leak was under her bath and she would need a complete new bathroom suite installing which she cannot afford. So it has been stalled at that, with her having run them a couple of times since then and got nowhere with them. It's bad, it has damaged the walls and ceiling of the floor below, plus all the bathroom laminate, now as it's been going on for months.

Tonight I got her to do a bit of investigation, remotely, using WhatsApp video on her phone. She's fairly confident she has found the source of the leak, after all this time and it's nothing to do with the bath at all. It seems to be a leak from the toilet discharge pipe, which from what I could see in the video is a flexible pipe.

From what I could see - all it needed was the toilet unfixed from the floor, pipes disconnected, toilet pulled out and the leak fixed. Is that unreasonable and beyond such a companies abilities?

Sponsored Links
From what I could see - all it needed was the toilet unfixed from the floor, pipes disconnected, toilet pulled out and the leak fixed. Is that unreasonable and beyond such a companies abilities?
Probably the same as a lot of companies: some good trades, some poor, some cba, some who won’t stop until they have found the issue. In answer to your question, no it’s not unreasonable and I believe they should have looked properly - Story or not it should have been found and fixed, especially with the eye watering monthly payment. I’m surprised you’ve not convinced her to cancel if (if possible) and out the money into a savings account for eventualities such as this.

I’m surprised you’ve not convinced her to cancel if (if possible) and out the money into a savings account for eventualities such as this.

I tried to convince her months ago, but she cannot cancel because it's a package deal, including the new boiler - she is stuck with paying it until end of contract.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
I would advise her to contact the company straight away, (they do 24/7), and tell them she has located the source of the leak that their engineers refused to search for. She now wants someone to come out ASAP to repair the leak and restore her home to the way it should be and she will be looking for some recompense for their failure to honour their contract.

I would advise her to contact the company straight away, (they do 24/7), and tell them she has located the source of the leak that their engineers refused to search for. She now wants someone to come out ASAP to repair the leak and restore her home to the way it should be and she will be looking for some recompense for their failure to honour their contract.

I left her to try to ring them at around 8pm. I have just spoken with her and she rang , but failed to get an answer. She says she will try to ring them again tomorrow.

There was a report on the radio a while back about some old fella who passed away

When his daughter looked into his affairs he was consistently paying out insurance premiums for pretty much every appliance in his house
Telly
WM
DW
Cooker

Ect ect

The amount he paid out over the years he could have renewed pretty much every thing several times over
Cheaper than paying insurance for years

No point in paying £40 per month for emergency cover so that when needed they can't find the leak.

Also good luck in getting a new boiler fitting included in that price.

Andy

There was a report on the radio a while back about some old fella who passed away

When his daughter looked into his affairs he was consistently paying out insurance premiums for pretty much every appliance in his house
Telly
WM
DW
Cooker

Very profitable it is too, for the companies offering them and in part, they rely on people not claiming on them, even when they have a valid claim - as this one seems to be. If they were not so profitable, companies wouldn't push them so hard.

A lot of these companies may have a limit on the amount of money it takes to gain access to the problem.

Things like that, such as a cap on how certain problems may cost, should be in writing in the contract and brought to the buyers attention prior to signing. There should/may also be a cooling off period to allow the buyer to study the contract and take advice independently if they need it.

Things like that, such as a cap on how certain problems may cost, should be in writing in the contract and brought to the buyers attention prior to signing. There should/may also be a cooling off period to allow the buyer to study the contract and take advice independently if they need it.
How many people read T&C's thoroughly? The clauses must be there, they are bought to your attention if you read them as requested. You sign saying you have rear them, same as ticking the box online. I'm just as guilty as most, not reading the full T&C's.

You can check them here:

There are different Ts and Cs depending on when you signed up.

Numerous reports saying these extended warranties and insurance cover are, 9/10, a waste of money. Yes, as is always the case, if something major goes wrong and the company does £x hundred or thousands in repairs, you can argue 'I've got my money back' but realistically, how often does that happen.

OT but they even offer you extended warranties when you buy a £9.99 kettle!!!

As for the original guy that attended, he evidently couldn't be ar5ed. As someone else touched on, good and bad workers everywhere.

Sponsored Links
Back